What's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Fabulous in Green
Default What's the difference?

God knows I searched. I Googled. I even Yahoo'd. I can't seem to find a simple answer. What is the difference between these three information. I'm just confused. I could swear that they all "should" correlate, but they're not giving me that impression.

These were all taken at the same instance.

Oh yeah. Don't laugh at my numbers. It's completely ridic bordering mediocre in comparison to you super hypermilers. But I am getting there.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What's the difference?

1st picture, "ECO DRIVE LEVEL", is your mpg for the current trip only. This starts over automaticaly after you turn off the car and restart the car for the next trip.

2nd picture, "CONSUMPTION" screen..."Average" is your average mpg since you last reset that screen from the "Reset" button on the lower right.
("Best" is your best average since you reset. ex: if you fill the tank and drive down hill for a mile, and it shows 99mpg, and press the Reset button, it will show 99,mpg as your Best. "Reset All" in upper corner re-sets this also.)

3rd picture, is tank average since refuel. It is not user re-setable.

Last edited by jbollt; 03-07-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I was under the impression that Eco Drive Level was a poor man's Consumption Screen. It shows the MPG AVG of your CURRENT drive (i.e. since you started the car).

Tank AVG is.. well the average mpg of the entire tank since you last filled up.

Consumption Screen..... The yellow portion should figure in with the Eco Drive Level (since that's the current average mpg for the trip). I don't know why your average says 31.7 there and 30.5 in the small screen (assuming you reset the Consumption Screen when you refuelled?)

Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

And, of course, all of these numbers are only estimations. When you calculate the figures, you will probably come up with a lower number than the 'tank average'.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Now that we have defined what each number means, does anyone have any speculation (or even better, facts!) on why the three numbers are different, assuming that the tank was refilled at the beginning of a trip. In other words, are they using different sensors or what? I have seen a wide variance between the estimates as well on my car.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

The first picture will always be different than the second and third, unless you have not turned your car off since the last time you filled up.

The second and third should be fairly close, IF YOU RESET THE NAV SCREEN AFTER EVERY FILLUP. If you do not reset it, then they have nothing to do with eachother.

The second and third should be fairly close, but they do use different sampling methods and times. Thus, especially just after a fillup, they will vary, because one might sample as you are going up a hill, the other after going down the same hill. After 10-20 miles, they should be almost identical.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Fabulous in Green

Thanks guys! That was very helpful! Ok, of all the three, which one is the most accurate in telling me that I'm doing something right? And with right, I mean, saving money on gas and such. Clearly, the 31.5 is not enough. But that's relative, ofcourse. Compared to my 15MPG Murano, YES, I'm doing an outstanding job, but as a hybrid, how do I really rate?

And, would it matter if you press the RESET button at random times? Or do you only do it after a fill-up?

Old 03-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: What's the difference?

Originally Posted by g.theory
Thanks guys! That was very helpful! Ok, of all the three, which one is the most accurate in telling me that I'm doing something right? And with right, I mean, saving money on gas and such. Clearly, the 31.5 is not enough. But that's relative, ofcourse. Compared to my 15MPG Murano, YES, I'm doing an outstanding job, but as a hybrid, how do I really rate?

And, would it matter if you press the RESET button at random times? Or do you only do it after a fill-up?
Most Accurate == Miles travelled divided by gallons purchased at the pump and a calculator. IMO the only way you should report your FE to the database.

Must useful == The instantaneous (nearly) MPG indication of the big dial on the far left (assuming you don't have a ScanGuage). If traffic conditions permit drive for a constant MPG target, and not for a constant speed. Lots of other driving tips on this forum to maximize FE.

IMHO the next most useful is the power flow diagram because it lets you see when electrcal power is being consumed or restored to the battery.

As far as the B reset -- it's no big deal either way. I only reset at fuel times because it does give me a reasonably close idea how I am doing on the current tank.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Question: What the heck is that thing at the bottom of picture 3? (and somewhat in picture 2)

Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Fabulous in Green

Isn't it creepy?!! Those are not my fingers. I took it with my iPhone, and I tried to duplicate it when I went back to my car and I didn't get the same effect. Doesn't it look like fingers. CUH-REEPY!

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Question: What the heck is that thing at the bottom of picture 3? (and somewhat in picture 2)

Quick Reply: What's the difference?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands