What will go wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default What will go wrong?

Have you ever noticed that among car brands, there is almost always something that goes wrong with the car after a while, and it happens in all models or their vehicles.

For instance, every Honda over 5 years old that I've been in, the passenger side seatbelt's recoil device gets worn out and stops working.

Every VW I've been in, regardless of age, has their airbag and engine lights come on, stay on, disappear, come back and disappear again, whether or not the airbags or engine have problems.

So, what will be the weird thing that happens to our Toyotas? We were never a Toyota family, but now I have the TCH, the boyfriend has a Rav4 and the parents have a GS300.

Has anyone had a problem with their Toyota?

Old 07-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What will go wrong?

I've had 2 Toyotas:
  • 1996 Camry Wagon. V6. 190k miles. 22 mpg. Extremely reliable with very little unscheduled maintenance. The driver's window "detached" and had to be reattached. The air conditioner "expansion valve" had to be replaced. For that model of Camry, I think the expansion valve is a common problem. The interior plastic and cloth has held up extremely well. The doors squeak badly when it is hot. I still drive this car.
  • 1999 Avalon. V6. 120k miles. 21 mpg. This was essentially a large version of the above Camry. Pretty reliable but not quite as good as the Camry. All 4 struts needed replacement in less than 80k. I think this was fairly common for this model. The interior leather did not hold up well. We sold this car when we got the TCH.
In both cars, the drive train was extremely reliable and felt pretty much like new the entire time. MPG for both cars remained good and varied only a little over time.

Will Mayall

Old 07-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well as a VW enthusiat all I can say is you haven't been in my VW. The engine light is generally an easy one to fix and anyone that doesn't do it doesn't take care of their own car. Mine came on once and I got it taken care of, it came on again a couple of years later, scan the code and take care of it...end of story. The airbag thing is a mystery as I have seen a car where it came on and wouldn't go off even though the airbag system tested ok. I will say mine has never come on though.

Sorry had to defend the brand...now if you said something like all the trim falls off and the window regulators break I am agree with you whole heartedly. I am sitting on 2 broken window regulators currently and I have already replaced the trim on the car once. Nice pick to use double sided tape to hold that on...I mean come on VW use fastack like every other company.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Along for the ride.....

84 Tercel - started rusting in the rocker panels after 195,000 miles.