What does the ICE use to start & restart itself??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What does the ICE use to start & restart itself??

Yeah that video that was posted pretty much summed it up.

Completely understand how things work now.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie
This is exactly what I needed. No theories or guesses. This video answers ALOT of questions I had...

so I guess I dont have a conventional starter, nor a conventional alternator that runs off of belts or anything. Awesome, thanks!
Nope, you don't. That takes some time, to let go of habits and conventional mentality. Also, you are not even controlling your car, you simply ask computer to control it for you. Make simple experiment: warm her well, put into P and try revving. See what happens. No matter how you try, ECU will not allow you to do what it is not programmed to allow.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
I'm almost sure they are alternators but toyota calls them generators and they do generate lots of AC volts. It's the inverter that changed the generated AC to DC, to charge the traction battery.

After seeing the youtube video it looks like the smaller MG1 slightly charges the traction battery all the time while driving, even though the readouts don't show it.
Nope. It's same MG that can be used either way - as generator or traction motor. 12V battery charged off the hybrid battery. Basically, it all goes to hybrid battery, and is distributed from it as needed. When ICE is turned off, 12V simply backs up vital components.
In this respect, TCH does not have alternator.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie
Yeah that video that was posted pretty much summed it up.

Completely understand how things work now.
Wow, I am envious. I still have no idea how it all works. I think, even Toyota engineers that created it, do not quite comprehend their child, as it's said that "display may show some odd data", and I witnessed that on the nav unit. Like I have had her rolling above cut off for EV mode speed, gauge sitting at 60mpg, me ACCELERATING HER with pedal, gently, and display showing ICE not working, and battery being charged. If your right foot is under good control, you can do some weird things to her.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Make simple experiment: warm her well, put into P and try revving. See what happens. No matter how you try, ECU will not allow you to do what it is not programmed to allow.
Yeah I tried to do that the first night we owned the car. Im getting used to the new technology, but I still drive with a heavy foot.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

Wow, I am envious. I still have no idea how it all works. I think, even Toyota engineers that created it, do not quite comprehend their child, as it's said that "display may show some odd data", and I witnessed that on the nav unit. Like I have had her rolling above cut off for EV mode speed, gauge sitting at 60mpg, me ACCELERATING HER with pedal, gently, and display showing ICE not working, and battery being charged. If your right foot is under good control, you can do some weird things to her.
Whats there not to understand?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 AM

here's difference between PSD and CVT:

Old 07-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

here's difference between PSD and CVT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c47caRqbbnE
Yeah exactly...

I already knew how a CVT worked.