Are we getting bored with our cars???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Are we getting bored with our cars???

Originally Posted by Squint
I'm still enjoying and playing with the higher FE that came with warmer temperatures, the addition of the block heater, and switching back from snow tires.

I started switching the interior lights to LEDs which are brighter, whiter, and generate less heat.

I still have to much to do including installing 3M film on the hood and bumper and the biggest project of all, installing Lexus SC430 HID projectors.
I like that plan Squint; where are you getting your lights from? Was it an expensive project?

Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Are we getting bored with our cars???

It's not that I've become bored with my TCH in particular... it's that I get bored with ANY car after a year or so. I really love the TCH and enjoy it as much now as ever, but have already reserved a smart ForTwo due to arrive in early 2008. As a micro-car fanatic-nut (and twice-former Isetta owner), the TCH is way, way too big for me.

I think that the early posts were so prolific because many issues remained to be addressed. Now we have a huge database of info, so the repetition of many posts is no longer necessary.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by jlacamp
I like that plan Squint; where are you getting your lights from? Was it an expensive project?
Well, there is an entire HID retrofitting car subculture that one of my friends is into. He had rare clear projector lenses from a 300ZX and ballasts. I haven't paid him yet but I think the fair market value for those two items would be $200-250. Bulbs were around $60 and the projectors were $175. Those projectors and clear lenses are the equivalent of S2000 projectors which are considered the very best available ($400).

The results are supposed to be a lot better than a kit with not that much more cost but a whole lot of labor.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Newbie and lovin' it!

Wow! I did not know that they were going to be selling the Smart here. Let us know how that one works out! BTW...my best friend gave me a bit of payback tonight. I am constantly telling him "I got XXX miles on this tank of gas." He called me tonight excited about his first 400 mile tank....on his Expedition. 13.3 MPG! I guess I am averaging him out!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:20 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by HybridAri
What's this HSD failure you speak of?
One guy had a defective inverter. Can't remember the other issue off the top of my head.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squint
Well, there is an entire HID retrofitting car subculture that one of my friends is into. He had rare clear projector lenses from a 300ZX and ballasts. I haven't paid him yet but I think the fair market value for those two items would be $200-250. Bulbs were around $60 and the projectors were $175. Those projectors and clear lenses are the equivalent of S2000 projectors which are considered the very best available ($400).

The results are supposed to be a lot better than a kit with not that much more cost but a whole lot of labor.

And what about the interior light project? Where were you purchasing those? Was that a challenge at all?

Old 04-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Are we getting bored with our cars???

Originally Posted by wxman3
Wow! I did not know that they were going to be selling the Smart here. Let us know how that one works out!
A couple of weeks ago, reservations became available for "Insiders" (go to smartusa.com to become an insider), and will soon be available to the general public. It costs $99 to reserve a smart ForTwo, and the cars will be available starting in early-2008.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 04-04-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Newbie and lovin' it!
Thumbs up Re: Are we getting bored with our cars???

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by Droid13
I've been hanging around this forum since last May back when there were only 2 or 3 pages of posts. Those were exciting times when everyone was a brand new owner and, with no real history, everyone was making discoveries left, right, and center. [...] I think this forum is past puberty now where most of the discussions revolving around questions from the steady influx of new owners.
Couldn't agree more... I've been on this forum for ~7 months now (admittedly much less active than before); the initial posts were all about discoveries from excited new owners, rich with very useful knowledge sharing discussions. Nowadays half of the posts seem to be repeats, trying to bring newer owners up to speed...

Old 04-04-2007, 05:16 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
It's not that I've become bored with my TCH in particular... it's that I get bored with ANY car after a year or so. I really love the TCH and enjoy it as much now as ever, but have already reserved a smart ForTwo due to arrive in early 2008. As a micro-car fanatic-nut (and twice-former Isetta owner), the TCH is way, way too big for me.

I think that the early posts were so prolific because many issues remained to be addressed. Now we have a huge database of info, so the repetition of many posts is no longer necessary.
Having test driven a SmartForTwo, and knowing you had/have a Lexus too, I was going to warn you about how the moderate power of these things gets old quickly, but having Googled Isetta, I change my mind. I actually had ridden in an Isetta before (not that I knew what it was called until just now because it was a long while ago).

Anyway, the one I test drove had paddle shifters with an automatic clutch. Doing paddle shifting instead of letting the car do it itself was probably the most fun driving it, and when it got tiring just put it back to auto shifting. It was fun but although I've become a lot more patient driver with my TCH, I haven't reached SmartForTwo patience level yet.

Quick Reply: Are we getting bored with our cars???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands