Washing my TCH in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Washing my TCH in the winter

I use the Mr. Clean system. Dries spotless. Can be found at Wally World.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Joe,

Another BIG help would be a small Reddy heater (or equal). Would not take a lot of kerosene to run one but it will prevent the mist from freezing before you can wipe it off.

At least I remember why I only lived there for 2 years now...... Ice should only be allowed in a good Scotch....

Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've got a Mr Clean system that I use for my pre-wash soak and rinsing, but I use the two-bucket method with a sheepskin mitt for the actual washing.

Had trouble getting the filters up until about 2 months ago. Pep Boys charges about $7.50, but Target finally carries them for about $5.

Again, the Mr. Clean isn't going to help me too much in the winter: cold water + cold metal in the cold and windy driveway = sheets of ice on my TCH and the driveway.

I've already put Nu Finish on the car (any opinions? it's worked out well for me between the spring and now at least), but I'm going to try the Meguiar's or Collinite for the winter. Now the question is, which to go with! Looks like the end of the week will be warm enough for me to wash and wax...I hope

Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

David,

I don't think a heater will help much where I live. I'm at the top of a hill with a cemetery across the street (no trees blocking the wind). I'd say we've been having sustained winds of 15 mph with gusts upwards of 30. Trash cans and recycle bins plus political yard signs blowing all over the place. I'd probably need a 747 jet engine sized heater, and that'd be GREAT for global warming, haha

Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

That would be a problem.... Called a buddy of mine into detailing in Casper, WY. He suggested that you look into a portable shelter (pop up) with a tarp on the wind side or one like he uses http://www.fastshelter.com/ to get out of the wind. He still has a Reddy heater that he sits on the tailgate of his truck (blows into the shelter better) and claims that he can stay fairly warm even during the winter.

Edit: Just looked and that company is 30 miles NW of Philly. They also offer a heater option. Don't know how expensive they are but it might be worth it on a 10 below day...

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 10-28-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

How convenient! My girlfriend lives near Phoenixville! haha, I'll check it out.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

There is a difference between a "touchless" car wash and a "brushless" car wash. I like to go to a brushless car wash. They still use soft "spiny" cloths and "dropy" cloths to get your car clean, but it is better for your paint than the old-school brushes. I find that the touchless variety, where your car is cleaned with strong jets of water, does not get the job done, and is probably not good for your paint anyway. Actually, I bet no commercial car washes are that good for your paint, but I just don't have the time or the garden hose access to do it myself. And besides, my car is white so a little light scratching here and there is probably not that noticeable. I do wax my car in the fall to get ready for the salty winters.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ottawa, Canada checking in here (now this is winter country - we got 15 cm (6 in.) of snow last night already). I agree with those who mentioned that a good quality wax job prior to the winter weather makes all the difference. I wash mine frequently in the touchless washes during the winter, and it keeps it not only looking great (for the first 15 minutes out of the wash), but keeps the rust-provoking salt at bay.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Joe,

I also live in PA and my method is to get two good coats of wax on the car in the fall (this weekend actually looks good to do it as a matter of fact). Then I work to keep the major grime off of the car. A touchless car wash is better than nothing in some cases but I never use brushed car washes especially with a black car. A brushed car wash also removes the wax you so diligently put on in the fall. I would rather have the protection it provides. I will pull the hose out on better days and wash it by hand (quickly) during the winter and maybe even another coat of wax.

I just try to do the best I can to get the major stuff off of the car when it is feasible in the winter. My TCH is Mag Gray so not quite as bad as black but still shows the dirt. I am like you and hate the look of powdered gray from the salt and dirt on my car in the winter time. I just knock it down the best I can.

Dave

Old 10-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input guys. This weekend, and actually later next week look perfect for a good wash and wax.

As far as the wax I'll use, I'm going with the Meguiar's. Here's the thing, all I could find in stores is the "NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0." Is this what we're talking about, or an update?

Quick Reply: Washing my TCH in the winter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands