Warm Weather and Flat Roads

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Warm Weather and Flat Roads

This combination will get you high MPGs. Recently drove from the Northeast to Florida. My MPGs have increased by 6-7 MPG. Now averaging 40+. Trips are 5-6 miles on flat roads. Hybrids love Flat Roads and Warm Temperatures.....

Old 01-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Warm Weather and Flat Roads

Originally Posted by 2009CAM
This combination will get you high MPGs. Recently drove from the Northeast to Florida. My MPGs have increased by 6-7 MPG. Now averaging 40+. Trips are 5-6 miles on flat roads. Hybrids love Flat Roads and Warm Temperatures.....
No, the current "crop" of hybrids love, dearly love, stop and go, slow moving, "hesitant", traffic. Most of them operate at a detriment on the highway in comparison to non-hybrids of equal size/weight/etc.

No "fuel for free" capability out there on those "flat" roads.

If you could somehow shut off the electrics for hwy crusing your FE would improve substantially. As it is the e/CVT design REQUIRES the MG's be powered at all times and the only reliable source of recharge is the ICE consuming extra fuel. Additionally, when you wish teh accelerate back up to "target" hwy speed the ICE is so severely derated via the Atkinson cycle the electrics must be used as sort of a "SuperCharger" and now the ICE must, over the long term, put that energy back into the battery.

It seems to me that a good engineering modification/upgrade/retrofit would be to use an over-running "OD lockup clutch" design approach to "lock" the MG's out of the drive "loop" on the hwy when cruising along at a relatively constant speed. Over-running to accomodate the exception, during times of acceleration and/or recharge "cycles".

Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

wwest, you're not wrong but not 100% right either. If you can get your HSD into heretical mode then you are actively using the MGs to suplement the ICE with the result of some exceptional FE.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

HSD is capable of amazing "light" city traffic - TRUE

Atkinson cycle engine is "dreated" - TRUE

HSD doesn't do well on the hightway - FALSE!!!

The atkinson cycle is where most of the efficiency gains - even on the highway - come.

I have done highway trips with my Camry that have AMAZED me. I have gotten 47 MPG trips of 5+ hours of highway/expressway driving. Round trip.

I would love to drive a 4cyl Camry (X)LE for a month. I doubt it would touch the Camry Hybrid - even on the highway.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:33 AM

I have those conditioners during the Spring and Fall where I live. Here below are some of my readings during prime weather with the TCH and a few other cars I have owned.

All readings are after break-in, no AC & using the cruise.

TCH highway, 60 mph = 48 mpg

TCH city, 38 to 40 mph = 55 mpg

TCH highway, at 45 mph = 50 mpg

2006 Ford Five Hundred V6, 6-speed auto (full size car) 31 combined, 35 highway at 60 mph.

2003 Corolla, 1.8 liter, 4-speed auto, 40 combined, 44 highway at 60 mph.

1994 Corolla, 1.8 liter, 4-speed auto, 38 combined, 40 highway at 60 mph. The Corolla figures were driving on the freeways in and near Dallas. The '94 mpg fell about 3 mpg when it reached 150,000 miles. I sold it at 185,000 miles.

I find my TCH gets good gas mileage in the city being in the EV mode, due to the slower speeds. My city diving speeds are 38 to 40 mph. The car does take off with EV, but the engine quickly kicks in with readings of 5 to 10 mpg till you gain speed. This is why i'm easy on take offs when stopped. This varies depending if there is any traffic behind me.

Charging of the traction battery - I found many times on a near empty highway on the way home driving at 42 mph. I can run in the EV mode for about 2 miles. That's from 80% charge down to 20% when the engine kicks on. I up the speed to 45 still on cruise. In one mile the traction battery has charged back to 80%. I also notice when the battery is charging the mpg reads at 45 mpg, after it's charged the mpg goes up to around 50 to 58 mpg. (1280 to 1340 rpm) These test are on a flat 8 miles of near flat highway on the 8 mile drive from town to our house.

I use the cruise all the time, city included.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-12-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by n8kwx
HSD is capable of amazing "light" city traffic - TRUE

Atkinson cycle engine is "dreated" - TRUE

HSD doesn't do well on the hightway - FALSE!!!

The atkinson cycle is where most of the efficiency gains - even on the highway - come.

I have done highway trips with my Camry that have AMAZED me. I have gotten 47 MPG trips of 5+ hours of highway/expressway driving. Round trip.

I would love to drive a 4cyl Camry (X)LE for a month. I doubt it would touch the Camry Hybrid - even on the highway.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Along for the ride.....

I feel I should start a thread called "Cold Weather and Icy Hilly Roads"

Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

just took a trip through florida and it was my first 40+ mpg tank, it was great to see it.
In the NC mountains I'm usually in the mid 30's.