Walking away with the FOB

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Walking away with the FOB

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
I haven't tried this yet, but I'm guessing you could lock the FOB in the trunk. Consider this scenario:

1) FOB in your shirt pocket, no other FOBS inside the car. You park your car, get out, close the door and lock the car via the button on the door handle

2) You walk over to the trunk, open it, bend over to retrieve something -- now the FOB accidentally slips out of your shirt pocket and into the trunk without you knowing..

3) you close the trunk and go on about your business..

Now.. will the TCH warn you that the FOB is inside the car/trunk? Will it allow the trunk to be closed? Will it unlock the doors when you close the trunk with the FOB in it?

I just thought about this scenario. I may give it a try later tonight.
<speculation mode>
I bet you can close and lock the trunk. BUT I also think you'd be able to reopen the trunk by pressing the latch button. Reason being there is only one trunk transmitter and I don't think it can distinguish if the fob is inside our outside. Unlike the separate zone for handles, and passenger compartment.
</speculaton mode>

Old 01-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

If that's true, that would be bad. Often times my wife would put her purse in the trunk to avoid tempting anyone to break the door windows should she leave it in the seat. If her key FOB was in her purse, then anyone (who knew about it) could simply walk up to the car and unlock the trunk.

Originally Posted by schmidtj
<speculation mode>
I bet you can close and lock the trunk. BUT I also think you'd be able to reopen the trunk by pressing the latch button. Reason being there is only one trunk transmitter and I don't think it can distinguish if the fob is inside our outside. Unlike the separate zone for handles, and passenger compartment.
</speculaton mode>

Old 01-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well well, just looking at the car manual answers my question:

If the trunk is closed with the key left inthe trunk when all side doors are locked, a beep will sound continuously for 2 seconds. You can open the trunk pushing the trunk opener switch without carrying another key. However, in some instances, the beep may not sound when the trunk is closed depending on the location of the key in the trunk. In addition, when the doors are open or unlocked, the beep may not sound when the trunk is closed. When closing the trunk, make sure that the key is not left in it.
So you have 2 seconds to open and retrieve the key. Otherwise you call AAA (can they even open the car door in the TCH) or call whoever has access to the 2nd FOB.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
Well well, just looking at the car manual answers my question:

So you have 2 seconds to open and retrieve the key. Otherwise you call AAA (can they even open the car door in the TCH) or call whoever has access to the 2nd FOB.
Nope that's not how it worked (for me).
I just tried it and yes it gave me 1 long beep then silence. I waited 60 seconds and pressed the trunk release button. No other fob was within 25 feet of the car and the trunk lid opened.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Nope that's not how it worked (for me).
I just tried it and yes it gave me 1 long beep then silence. I waited 60 seconds and pressed the trunk release button. No other fob was within 25 feet of the car and the trunk lid opened.
Confirmed. I just tried it and the trunk opened for me when i pressed and held the latch release pad.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think the manual is saying that the car will beep for 2 seconds. You have both proven that you have longer to actually open the trunk--the question is, how much longer do you have until you can no longer open the trunk without a FOB?

Old 01-26-2007, 04:47 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by OmegaOmega
Confirmed. I just tried it and the trunk opened for me when i pressed and held the latch release pad.
Forever. Or until the system can no longer detect the presence of the fob in the trunk. What is the shelf life of the fob battery? What is the temperature of the trunk?

Old 01-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

I wonder..

I wonder if you can put the spare FOB in the trunk and then lock the car with a double-press of the door button. When pushing the button twice - I was unable to unlock the car via proximity detection - I actually had to press the UNLOCK button on my FOB.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast

Someone told me. . . haven't tried. . That the rf signal is in that little key found in the FOB. They said that if you loose your FOB call someone who has one to your car and they can start the car with a cell phone to cell phone call (place the rf key next to the microphone). Sounds like a bunch of bunk. . myth or fact?

Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobbywalnuts
Someone told me. . . haven't tried. . That the rf signal is in that little key found in the FOB. They said that if you loose your FOB call someone who has one to your car and they can start the car with a cell phone to cell phone call (place the rf key next to the microphone). Sounds like a bunch of bunk. . myth or fact?
Oh Yes! And if I connect my bluetooth I can also pick up interstellar chatter between advanced civilizations.

Quick Reply: Walking away with the FOB

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands