Very brief but alarming engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Very brief but alarming engine noise

When I started my 2008 TCH Tuesday morning the engine started right away but as the CE kicked in a moment later there was a loud clunking noise coming from the engine as well as causing the car to shake. It was a little like the firing sequence being off. By the time I reacted to turn off the radio and was just thinking that maybe I should kill the engine the noise and shaking vanished. So it lasted only a couple seconds.

The car had been sitting for 4 days as I'd been away. It's been fine before and since. Has anyone had this happen?

Don

Old 10-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Very brief but alarming engine noise

Originally Posted by dkaiser
When I started my 2008 TCH Tuesday morning the engine started right away but as the CE kicked in a moment later there was a loud clunking noise coming from the engine as well as causing the car to shake. It was a little like the firing sequence being off. By the time I reacted to turn off the radio and was just thinking that maybe I should kill the engine the noise and shaking vanished. So it lasted only a couple seconds.

The car had been sitting for 4 days as I'd been away. It's been fine before and since. Has anyone had this happen?

Don
Happens from time to time, mine has only ever done it once in two years.

Discussed in this thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tarting-12175/

Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

Sooty,

That's it exactly! Thanks for the reply and pointer.

Don

Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Same here, I have had it happen once in 1.5 years.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Electricity Guzzler

I believe the problem is your water pump. There is an American and Canadian TSB for this. I had mine replaced under warranty and solved these symptoms.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

hmm...the other pointer had quite a few people who had the problem but it was quite infrequent and didn't change their water pump. How often or how many times did you experience this before you had the water pump replaced?

Don

Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 PM

The TCH engine has no starter. It's started from the car rolling or from the electric motor. I find anytime the engine starts when it's is rolling, then a clean start. But when the (cold) engine starts while the car is sitting still, then most times I get some engine shaking for about 4 or so seconds.

This could be from the injectors being slightly running rich at first crank up. With the car sitting still, the engine may start at a lower rpm to help conserve the traction battery charge.

This may be a characteristic of a hybrid. It don't bother me and it don't happen that often.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-05-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 PM

The violent start that occurred for me I believe was tied to the fact that I started the car (in cold weather) and immediately put it in reverse and start moving before the ICE had started. I actually believe it is opposite of Jimmy's statement (at least in my case).

Old 12-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fullofbeans
I believe the problem is your water pump. There is an American and Canadian TSB for this. I had mine replaced under warranty and solved these symptoms.
Would you be able to point me as to where to find this TSB that will fix the engine shaking problem? Many thanks.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mine did this once, on a cold morning. Scared me so much I immediately shut the car off. Then I started it up again, and it was fine. I'll be asking about it the next time I take it in.