Vais tech iPod integration experience/feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 PM
TCH Obsessive
Default Re: Vais tech iPod integration experience/feedback

We have the Toyota one and it works fine from an audio perspective. however, browsing songs and things that would be nice to do, it just won't do. If you define playlists, it is a bit better. W/O them and with bad/no tags, it is gonna suck rocks.

Mark

Old 05-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ToutSuite
The new firmware is definitely an improvement. Now you're presented with six discs, as if you were looking a six disc changer. Each disc corresponds to a different way of browsing (and this may not be the correct order): playlist, artist, album, genre, audiobook, and podcast. Once you select a "disc," you then browse just as you did previously through a playlist - up and down arrows to go through folders and songs one at a time. The discs themselves aren't labeled, and instead you get a text box which pops up when you select one, telling which mode you're in ("Artist," "Album," etc.). This box disappears after a few seconds.
Does this mean you must still use a playlist even for the artists? Or does the artist 'disc' read all songs on your iPod and create a virtual playlist -- just like when you use the actual iPod to search your songs by artist?

Old 05-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Does this mean you must still use a playlist even for the artists? Or does the artist 'disc' read all songs on your iPod and create a virtual playlist -- just like when you use the actual iPod to search your songs by artist?
When you click on the artist 'disc' you can then scroll through the artists on your iPod, just as you would if you were using the actual iPod to browse. If you stop on an artist, it will begin playing that artist's songs in order (or random, if you have that selected). It will remain on that artist until you decide to move to another artist.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Driving in stealth mode

This is encouraging. I can't wait to get my update adapter so I can get the updated firmware.

Tout what are impressions of the new firmware now vs the old firmware?

Old 05-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

Well, it's definitely an improvement over the previous firmware. But I'm not an ideal candidate to judge, as I'm only using an 8GB iPhone with it, with a single music playlist (plus some audiobook playlists). In fact, I still find it somewhat easier to use the cover flow view on my iPhone when choosing songs than scrolling through endless lists on the Vais interface.

I would say if I was using a regular iPod tucked away in the glove compartment, I'd find this new firmware a huge improvement which makes the Vais that much more enjoyable to use.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ToutSuite
When you click on the artist 'disc' you can then scroll through the artists on your iPod, just as you would if you were using the actual iPod to browse. If you stop on an artist, it will begin playing that artist's songs in order (or random, if you have that selected). It will remain on that artist until you decide to move to another artist.
That's good to know. Thank you.

I rarely use the song list on the iPod to find something, usually it is the artist list. You cannot view the songs in the artist list correct?

Also, what makes the VAIS worth the money of the other alternatives?

I need to update my other thread which is a poor-man's attempt to organize all this...just so little time!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Driving in stealth mode

The main justification for cost seems to be the ability to update\grade the firmware of the unit allowing for increased capabilities without having to buy a new unit.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Driving in stealth mode

I just went and reviewed the post from BackupGuy again and found some differences. With the device he got he stated that you couldn't switch playlists while moving. The Vais does not have this issue. Also the search features are now the same due to the firmware upgrade. The VAIS unit will allow you to auto-override the "I agree" screen on the NAV unit. After programming the setting 1 time it will over ride it after 5 seconds. The setting only has to be made during the initial setup and nothing afterwards.