Use of steering wheel controls for iPod

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Use of steering wheel controls for iPod

According to the TCH manual, the audio controls on the steering wheel can be used to control the iPod. My experience is that the only control that works is the volume. I really would like to be able to use the controls to move to the next song/podcast, but it won't work. I'm finding that the scroll wheel is very sensitive. I can't always get to respond and then when it does respond, I have passed the track that I want to listen to.

Do the steering wheel controls only work when listening to music on the iPod?

Old 04-10-2007, 03:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Use of steering wheel controls for iPod

Originally Posted by cbrookhart
According to the TCH manual, the audio controls on the steering wheel can be used to control the iPod. My experience is that the only control that works is the volume. I really would like to be able to use the controls to move to the next song/podcast, but it won't work. I'm finding that the scroll wheel is very sensitive. I can't always get to respond and then when it does respond, I have passed the track that I want to listen to.

Do the steering wheel controls only work when listening to music on the iPod?
Yes if the IPOD is pluged into the Aux Audio in Jack in the center console only Volume can be controled. If you want to be able to Control the IPOD or see the Track names (If You have a NAV equiped TCH) you will need an IPOD interface. They connect to the back of the radio, so the radio would need to removed to install one. There are many on the market.

The VAIIS SLI is popular. I have one and it works great.
http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html

Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sweet I didn't know this existed...must get that.

Thanks for the post.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by spaziwk
Yes if the IPOD is pluged into the Aux Audio in Jack in the center console only Volume can be controled. If you want to be able to Control the IPOD or see the Track names (If You have a NAV equiped TCH) you will need an IPOD interface. They connect to the back of the radio, so the radio would need to removed to install one. There are many on the market.

The VAIIS SLI is popular. I have one and it works great.
http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html
Do you have factory XM radio as well as the nav system?
I have an XM radio as well and wondering if this device will be able to work with my config.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
Do you have factory XM radio as well as the nav system?
I have an XM radio as well and wondering if this device will be able to work with my config.
Sorry Don't have XM.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:41 PM
iam4pack

Looks like the VAIIS SLI will work on a non-nav TCH w/jbl. Why does it have to cost $300!?

Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 AM
One year owner!
Angry Re: Use of steering wheel controls for iPod

I reviewed the SoundLinq and another product from Peripheral (pxdp2). Trying to be through, I called Toyota. They told me that they do not have one that I could have installed and that if I installed either of the ones listed above, it would void my Nav system warranty. So, now I am left with the question of how important is it for me to have iPod control from my Nav system. I am rather concerned with Nav system failure and the cost of getting it repaired.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by RojoToro
I reviewed the SoundLinq and another product from Peripheral (pxdp2). Trying to be through, I called Toyota. They told me that they do not have one that I could have installed and that if I installed either of the ones listed above, it would void my Nav system warranty. So, now I am left with the question of how important is it for me to have iPod control from my Nav system. I am rather concerned with Nav system failure and the cost of getting it repaired.
I can understand where you are coming from.
It seems that most of the add-ons are limited in one way or the other. The best interface is still the iPod.
My 80gig iPod holds more music than 99 playlists of 99 songs.
and,
Most likely the display of track info will be disabled when you start driving (just like CDs)

Old 04-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As for the warranty issue. I hear so many people worried about that. Honestly, if you don't have to cut into wires, if something went wrong, just pull it out before taking it in. I killed a MAF sensor once due to a "modified" intake. I just put it back to normal and never had a question about it. Warranty or no warranty, it wont stop me from doing something. But if you are truly worried, its best to not do it.

I wonder, if you replace the light bulbs with LEDs will that void the electrical warrant since they are not the "correct" light bulb?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The USA-Spec IPod interface for 07 Toyota is now available.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

If you are not comfortable buying on EBay, I believe this part is also sold by Crutchfield.

Quick Reply: Use of steering wheel controls for iPod

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands