Update using the new Energy Saver Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Update using the new Energy Saver Tires

Originally Posted by carolinacamry
All this tire pressure, coasting, eco mode stuff gets confusing and seems time consuming. I just drive the car and enjoy the hell out of it. Yeah, it only gets around 38-40 mpg but I guess I'll have to live with it.
Good point, here in the new mexico desert it's very dry due to the 4100 foot elevation and lots of sunlight. My very first tank was 48 mpg so I worked from there. I might be in around 45 mpg if I drove like the other drivers out here. The higher readings would be due to the dryer climate and less traffic.

If we still lived in Dallas where the cars on the freeway tend to push you along at high speeds. no telling what kind of gas mileage I would get. I made a comment earlier that I have also found that when the humidity is high, it seems to pull down the mpg. I might add to that that sometimes it keeps the EV Mode from being used.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-08-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:09 AM

I'm now up to 63.4 mpg and near a 1/2 tank of gas. This is no real test for these new Saver tires. I do have about 400 miles on them so they are broke in. I upped the pressure to 38 psi cold and may keep it there. I will see how it goes..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mpg 09-08-09.jpg (131.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by rburt07; 09-17-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Mpg still climbing but only about 5 tenths. I decided to run out this tank to see how high it will go. It was sunny today with a 4 mph crosswind. The humidity dropped way down to 17% for a few hours then back to 24% for the evening. Remember, this is more a creep, crawl and drive slow to get max mpg. I drive usually slow but not working at it like this to use the EV mode so much.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mpg 09-14-09.jpg (131.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by rburt07; 09-17-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm looking for new tires also - so which tire did u buy? I don't recall seeing the one u bought.. you mentioned both the primacy and pilot

Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 PM

I mentioned the tire name briefly on page 1 of this thread. This is the newly released Michelin Energy Saver tire. It was first tested in Europe and now available here in America.

Michelin claims these tires can give you up to a 8% gain in gas mileage. I paid $602 for the set from Tire Rack. That included a $60 shipping charge. It cost me $44 extra to get them mounted with a lifetime rotate and balance.

Don't pay much attention to my high gas mileage numbers. I drive slow, to see how high of mpg numbers I can get.

I bought the same size 215 x 60R x 16 tire size same as came on the car.

The original tires on my TCH where the michelin energy mxv4 S8 tire. So far these new tires with only 550 miles on them seem to ride smoother and quieter than the originals, probably because they are new. The S8's are listed as Grand Touring all season tires. The Energy Saver tires are listed as Passenger tires which should give a smoother ride.

These new tires seem to 'coast' much farther or easier then the originals.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-19-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Donald
Does the Camry Hybrid have a trip odometer that gives you mpg? I'm on my 2nd HCH II. I compare trips of equal length, done while using the cruise control. I compare the old tires with the new. If you have constant speed using the cruise control, and go on the same trip (of at least 30 miles) you should get the difference in fuel economy for new tires. Of course you need to have similar temperature, road condition, and weather factors.
Good luck!
The only issue I can see with that, I doubt you'll be able to find anywhere you can travel 30 miles on cruise control without encountering something.

Personally I dislike Cruise Control, just on principal. Until Radar is standard on CC I think it's sort-of useless, as soon as there's another car in front of you. Also, it's primary mission is to maintain constant speed, which is counter to Driving With Load: letting your speed rise/fall with the terrain to some extent.

Also, even with CC and a clear 30 miles of easily navigated road in front of you, weather and wind are going to be variables. I think your best bet for comparison is to try to drive as you always have, on the same routes. Anomolies will reduce as your sample get's larger.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:03 AM

Yes the Camry has a total mpg digital readout. The instant mpg reading is analog. The reset on the total mpg is performed when you zero the trip mileage and fill the tank.

I like to use my cruise control from 25 mph to 60. my favorite speed on any long trips. I have engaged it at 85 mph a couple of times when I was coming down a mountain on a near straight open divided highway. I never could tell if it engaged or not at that speed.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-19-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I really need to replace my tires too--and I've looked at the Energy Savers but apparently they don't match the speed rating of the car, so not sure. I don't know that it would be a big issue but still. Right now I'm considering the Primacys but they're not available nearby at the moment (from TireRack that is).

Old 09-21-2009, 02:10 PM

I don't know if I would worry about the speed rating. Your right my oem tires on the TCH were 94V. The Energy Saver shows to be a 94T tire.

According to the tire rack speed listings, the V is a 149 mph tire and the T is a 118 mph tire. I think the TCH is limited to 112 mph. I don't ever go that speed anyway.

L 75 mph 120 km/h Off-Road & Light Truck Tires
M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Maybe I'm daft, but why did you sell the OEM tires?

Quick Reply: Update using the new Energy Saver Tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands