Update on 07 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Update on 07 TCH

Only posted once in the last few months so I thought I'd post a quick update.

Really not that much to report the car has performed as a toyota should.
During the first year I had a rattle under the dash especially during cold weather (I live in the Toronto area of Canada). One trip to the dealer and the noise was gone.
A M radio reception has never been good, a new radio and a 2nd visit never really helped much but as I only listen to a traffic station on A M I pursued it no further.
As for consumption of fuel the car performed better as it got older, overall it returns a fraction over 6 litres per 100 K's or 39 mpusg. I say overall because during cold, snowy weather and in town it can drop to 7 litres per 100 k or 33 mpusg on the other hand at summer temps on the highway it will return 5.6 litres or 42 mpg. Yes mine does better on the highway than in town.
In summary I am totally happy with my purchase and intend to repeat in 2010.
And now because I love to show off here's a photo of my Camry and the toy it helped finance

An original "Smart Car" it only weighs 1200lbs

Old 03-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Update on 07 TCH

Nice looking TCH! I see you have tinted windows. The TCH radio antenna is in the rear window, and metallic tints will impair AM radio reception. I don't know if your rear window tint is metallic or not. I paid a bit extra for a ceramic tint and find the AM reception quite good.

My '07 TCH has 55K miles on it. I had the TSBs for the console squeak and rear brake squeak, and the streering recall performed. Otherwise no problems at all.

Last edited by nash; 03-20-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
Nice looking TCH! I see you have tinted windows. The TCH radio antenna is in the rear window, and metallic tints will impair AM radio reception. I don't know if your rear window tint is metallic or not. I paid a bit extra for a ceramic tint and find the AM reception quite good.
Good point, although I realize it means nothing it was a dealership installed tint.
Also I should point out that reception is only part of the problem. AM also suffers with ignition interference. Driving under electric power although reception is not strong it is clear but as soon as the ICE kicks in I get noise that relates to engine revs. Just like an old car with points ignition when the condenser is shot.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AndyB
Good point, although I realize it means nothing it was a dealership installed tint.
Also I should point out that reception is only part of the problem. AM also suffers with ignition interference. Driving under electric power although reception is not strong it is clear but as soon as the ICE kicks in I get noise that relates to engine revs. Just like an old car with points ignition when the condenser is shot.
I agree with you with the poor quality of the AM reception (no window tint on my 07 TCH) and have done nothing to replace the radio as I figured out it will be waist of time... I have almost 36k miles and no issue so far...