Turning Off Seat Belt Warning (One when moving)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Turning Off Seat Belt Warning (One when moving)

My dealer says their "computer" doesn't have a feature to turn off the seat belt rapid warning ding that comes on when you go over 3mph. I know some on this forum have had it done.

If you have a 2007 TCH with smart key and had a dealer turn off this feature, please give me the name of the dealer who did if for you and give a phone number. My dealer says they will call and find out how it can be done.

Thanks

John

Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Turning Off Seat Belt Warning (One when moving)

It's easy, I'll save you a trip to the dealer.
If you put a package on the front seat that is heavy enough to be detected, reach over to the passenger seat belt and buckle it.
Seat belts are there for a reason and disabling a warning device might seem like a short term good idea for you. But what if the car is loaned or sold to another driver? What if his teen aged son drives the car with a friend? What if the friend isn't belted when the car hits a tree?
Most people, upon hearing the alarm will put on their belt. It stands to reason that if they aren't belted and don't hear the warning, they will stay unbelted.
Warnings are there for a reason, don't go out of your way to disable them.
Remember, there will, in all likelihood, be other drivers (than yourself) and other passengers in the car who might not realize that the alarm was disabled.

Just buckle the belt...it takes less than two seconds.

(Sorry for pontificating)

Last edited by haroldo; 03-25-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Pragmatist

I put most hand-packages on the floor in front of the passenger seat, not on the seat. That avoids warning beeps from the seat belt system. It also avoids broken packages, because they don't fall off the front of the seat if/when I have to stop suddenly.

I agree that this safety feature should not be turned off. If there is a human in the chair, the seat belt should be fastened before the car moves. No exceptions. Seat belts are not uncomfortable or difficult, so there really is no good reason not to use them. On the rare occasion when you have to put a heavy package in the chair, just fasten the belt, either around or behind the package.

It might be nice to have a hook on the right side of the center console, to hang the strap of a womans purse.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:11 AM

My laptop sometimes sets off the seat belt warning. Sometimes I can give it a wiggle and get it to stop, sometimes traffic keeps me from doing anything about it.

It will stop dinging on it's own! It takes a few minutes, but it will silence itself if you have some patience.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:18 AM
Driving in stealth mode

I was curious about this too. I had my dog in the front seat and the alarm went off. I just buckled the belt behind her. It was in her way a little but she lived. She did however like the seat heater.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:22 AM

FWIW, dogs, for the most part, are safer (IMHO) on the floor rather than in a seat as they can slip off.

Last edited by haroldo; 03-25-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Mine won't sit down there. Plus she's a 65lb Boxer. I used to have a "doggy seatbelt" for her but she didn't hold still too well in it. I don't take her in the car very often.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by zebrajeb
My dealer says their "computer" doesn't have a feature to turn off the seat belt rapid warning ding that comes on when you go over 3mph. I know some on this forum have had it done.

If you have a 2007 TCH with smart key and had a dealer turn off this feature, please give me the name of the dealer who did if for you and give a phone number. My dealer says they will call and find out how it can be done.

Thanks

John
Ok, so you have not gotten a good answer, just advice on how to live your life. I do agree seatbelts should be used; I do not agree the car needs to tell me. So....

My dealer did this for me when I took delivery of the car. I did have to argue and point out that New York state does not require an audible warning and the flashing light is enough. I also had to reassure them that I do (and EVERYONE else in the car does) wear a seatbelt. They then tried to say it could not be done so I handed them a printed copy of the page in the service manual that discloses the customizable features. They then did it.

My dealership is DCH Wappingers Falls Toyota. They might not give your dealer the information because they will probably say it cannot be done. Why? Because the service department personnel can be a pain. I had to speak directly to the General Manager.

For more details on the subject and the PDF in question for printing, see How do I adjust the...(seatbelt warning, headlight auto off timer, etc.)?.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 03-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Enthusiast

This was the first thing I had done. I wear my belt religiously, but have a habit of removing the belt when I pull into the parking lot of my destination, or onto my street, in order to get out and check the mailbox. Nothing is more annoying than that beep beep beep.
It's beyond annoying. People either wear their seatbelt or they don't.
The dealer that programmed mine is Pat Lobb in McKinney, TX.
They have a laptop that they plug into an outlet underneath the steering wheel. The technician and I had to dig around a little to find the setting, but it is in there.
After you disable the audible alarm, the light will still flash.
They have tons of settings they can change in that laptop interface.
Good luck.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks mikieboyblue and userboy for responding to my question. Appreciate it very much.

For some others, I use seatbelts but have my preferences on how I'm reminded or not.

Thanks

John

Quick Reply: Turning Off Seat Belt Warning (One when moving)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands