Toyota to Recall 3.8 Million Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota alert *mat issues*

Originally Posted by roseng
This is a copy and paste from an internal email @ Toyota FIY

This message is intended for all TFS associates.

The following message was sent to all TMS associates today. Please take a moment to read this important information.

Because Toyota takes public safety very seriously, the company is issuing a Consumer Safety Advisory about the potential for an accelerator pedal to get stuck in the full open position due to an unsecured or incompatible driver’s floor mat. A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could result in a crash, serious injury or death.

Recent events have prompted Toyota to take a closer look at this issue. We consider this a critical matter and will soon launch a safety campaign on specific Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Throughout the process of developing the details of the action plan, we will advise the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Until Toyota can implement a remedy, it is asking consumers and associates who drive specific Toyota and Lexus models to take out any removable driver’s floor mat and NOT replace it with any other floor mat. The following models are affected:
  • 2007 – 2010 Camry
  • 2005 – 2010 Avalon
  • 2004 – 2009 Prius
  • 2005 – 2010 Tacoma
  • 2007 – 2010 Tundra
  • 2007 – 2010 ES350
  • 2006 – 2010 IS250 and IS350
Should the vehicle continue to accelerate rapidly after releasing the accelerator pedal, this could be an indication of floor mat interference. If this occurs, Toyota is recommending the driver take the following actions:
  • First, if it is possible and safe to do so, pull back the floor mat and dislodge it from the accelerator pedal; then pull over and stop the vehicle.
  • If the floor mat cannot be dislodged, then firmly and steadily step on the brake pedal with both feet. Do NOT pump the brake pedal repeatedly as this will increase the effort required to slow the vehicle.
  • Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.
  • If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral, turn the engine OFF, or to ACC. This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost.
    • If the vehicle is equipped with an Engine Start/Stop button, firmly and steadily push the button for at least three seconds to turn off the engine. Do NOT tap the Engine Start/Stop button.
    • If the vehicle is equipped with a conventional key-ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position to turn off the engine. Do NOT remove the key from the ignition as this will lock the steering wheel.
    Consumers and associates with questions are asked to please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center (1 800 331-4331) or Lexus Customer Satisfaction (1 800 255-3987), or consult the information posted at http://www.toyota.com and http://www.lexus.com.

If you choose not to remove the mat, Toyota is strongly recommending that you ensure you are using the correct mat, that it is properly installed and secured, that it is not flipped over with the bottom-side up, and that one floor mat is not stacked over another. Information on proper mat installation can be found on http://www.Toyota.com and http://www.Lexus.com.

It is really hard for me to believe that Toyota could get that TSB, caution warning, so very, VERY wrong.

The problem is that the floor mat creeps forward and gets "trapped" over the top of the gas pedal BUT BEHIND THE BRAKE PEDAL. Now when you step on the brake you sometimes get an inadvertent episode of unintended acceleration.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Default Re: Toyota to Recall 3.8 Million Vehicles

Originally Posted by alphabetbackward
If what Ancistrus says is true, then the older ones didn't have these the holes for the clips.
My all weather mats purchase from the dealer in March 2007 had the clip holes. The original TSB was indeed for the all weather mats. They shortened the rubber near the gas pedal. The also said you should never stack the mats.

Personally, I never went in to get the new all weather mats as I've never had a problem and apparently am smart enough to know that you should stack the mats. I don't even know why someone would. How did we ever survive all these years without floor mat hooks??

Old 09-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

So what are they doing exactly? I read the release from Toyota, but it's a lot of mumbo jumbo, so can anyone translate into plain English? Are they replacing the standard carpet mats? Are they adding something to keep them more secure? (I don't even use my original mats, but if they're going to do something fun and exciting for free...)

Old 09-30-2009, 01:45 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Toyota alert *mat issues*

I don't think Toyota got it wrong, at all. I think some dealers have been delivering cars with the wrong floor mats.

Here's a snip from one of todays news articles:
NHTSA investigators determined that a rubber all-weather floor mat found in the wreckage was slightly longer than the mat that belonged in the vehicle, something that could have snared or covered the accelerator pedal.
As a precaution, it is wise to check which mats are actually installed in each vehicle, and that are installed correctly.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
My all weather mats purchase from the dealer in March 2007 had the clip holes. The original TSB was indeed for the all weather mats. They shortened the rubber near the gas pedal. The also said you should never stack the mats.
Thanks for the clarification. I always wondered what was different about the new mats. I didn't drive the '07 much. I told my wife about the recall and to immediately take out the rubber mats. She handled the rest. Until, one day, I got in the car, the mats were stacked, and...

I just use the carpet mats on my '09.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 AM
Enthusiast

Not sure if the link to the notice has been posted:
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...ry-102572.aspx

Old 09-30-2009, 05:11 AM

Heard a chilling 911 call on CNBC (I'll try and add the link if they post the video) this morning.
People ended up crashing as the car was racing due to a stuck accelerator pedal.
Wonder why they didn't try to shift the car to neutral or to turn off the power?
Lesson to be learned...if you're in a car accelerating out of control...shift to neutral. (that's possible when the car is accelerating, isn't it?)

Old 09-30-2009, 05:12 AM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by JoeRemix
So what are they doing exactly?
Here's a snip from one of todays news articles:
NHTSA investigators determined that a rubber all-weather floor mat found in the wreckage was slightly longer than the mat that belonged in the vehicle, something that could have snared or covered the accelerator pedal.
I think some dealers have delivered cars with the wrong floor mats. Or maybe, some customers bought the wrong accessories. Avalon mats will fit into a Camry, except that they are a little too large.

As a precaution, it is wise to check which mats are actually installed in each vehicle, and that are installed correctly. So they are going to look at the mat to make sure it is the right one for the car. They will probably also look to see that there is only one, and that it is hooked properly.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Heard a chilling 911 call on CNBC (I'll try and add the link if they post the video) this morning.
People ended up crashing as the car was racing due to a stuck accelerator pedal.
Wonder why they didn't try to shift the car to neutral or to turn off the power?
Lesson to be learned...if you're in a car accelerating out of control...shift to neutral. (that's possible when the car is accelerating, isn't it?)
Thanks haroldo for your very good suggestion. I'm almost sure by putting the car in neutral would also put the engine instantly to idle.

I wonder why this person did not try to push hard on the BRAKES. I have pressed the start button to kill my engine while in Drive. I was going very slow near my mailbox. I'm not sure if that would work at faster speeds but in a panic it's sure worth a try.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:45 AM

On the audio tape, they 911 operator confirmed with the passenger that the brakes had no effect.
"....I'm almost sure by putting the car in neutral would also put the engine instantly to idle.."
No, neutral doens't do anything (or didn't)
I had 'real' (as opposed to driver error or floor mat) uninted acceleration in my 1981 280 ZX. I used the clutch and shifted to neutral and the car was redlining. I coasted to a stop and hooked my foot under the accelerator and pulled it back up. I had my mechanic spray 'gum out' or something like that on 'some spring' (linkage??) and it never occured again.

Quick Reply: Toyota to Recall 3.8 Million Vehicles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands