Toyota Camry Hybrid - MPG Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota Camry Hybrid - MPG Issues

I do like the Camry Hybrid, but was surprised by the sudden drop in MPG for individual tanks of gas after having the car for 5 months with no problems. The MPG always seem to jump back up over 30 MPG with the next several tanks.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Big fluctuations in MPG.... the most exasperating thing about the HYCAM...

Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old-Crows
Big fluctuations in MPG.... the most exasperating thing about the HYCAM...
Only if you let it bother you.
When I got the car, I was really interested in the mileage.
I monitored it closely, etc.
After a dozen tanks I realized I wasn't going to be able to retire from the fuel savings. Whether I get one level or another is only a matter of a few bucks here or there.
I know it gets better mileage than most cars on the road, so I enjoy it, but I really don't care if my mileage is up or down.
So, no..., it's not the most exasperating thing (to me).

Old 11-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Pragmatist

Overall, my TCH gets roughly three times the miles-per-gallon of my previous daily-driver vehicle. (The previous vehicle was a full-sized V8 truck.) So I don't worry about the difference between 33 and 37. Either one is a lot more than 12.

I do see a seasonal difference. During the hot summer air-conditioning season, the mileage drops off. During the "winter" (I live in Florida), the AC doesn't run so much, and the mileage increases. I wouldn't know about real winters, with snow and all. Haven't been that far north in a long time.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

My prior car was a Chevrolet Equinox which got about 16-18 MPG, so I am happy with the jump in MPG. But, if there is a sudden drop in MPG with no real change in driving habits then it is cause for concern. My changes in driving habits are 1) change from using Marathon gas to other gas stations 2) my wife driving the car substantially & 3) I don't drive 70 miles round trip to work any more.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I noticed a drop also.
Since we don't have frigid temperatures, yet, and the engine doesn't appear to be turning on more often than normal, I'll chalk it up to 'winter grade' gas.
Not an expert, just a guess, but that's my bet.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Did a 350 mile trip last week in temperatures ranging from -14°C to -22°C average speed 70mph average mpg 33.1 U.S. or 39.8 Imperial.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Toyota Camry Hybrid - MPG Issues

Originally Posted by glennkromminga
My prior car was a Chevrolet Equinox which got about 16-18 MPG, so I am happy with the jump in MPG. But, if there is a sudden drop in MPG with no real change in driving habits then it is cause for concern. My changes in driving habits are 1) change from using Marathon gas to other gas stations 2) my wife driving the car substantially & 3) I don't drive 70 miles round trip to work any more.
You have two significant changes in habits which can really affect your mileage. Your wife driving and shorter drives.

My wife doesn't want to be bothered with the nuances of the hybrid so I don't let her drive it.

I find that I get my best mileage after driving for 20 minutes. Short trips are murder on good mileage.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:07 PM
2010 Camry Hybrid Owner

I think you hit directly on the problem. The gas at the non-national brands you mentioned is usually not subjected to the same quality standards as the chains that refine their own. Kroger, Safeway, Marathon buy gas from the local distributor which could be very inconsistent or a mixture of various brands. That. coupled with a driver that is used to a full gas powered vehicle as opposed to a hybrid would make a world of difference. I've noticed a drastic difference in the way I drive my Camry from the way I drove my previous car. I suspect if you go back to name brand gas and back to being the full time driver, you may see your mileage go back up where it was.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

I concur with h20doctor
". . . 2) my wife driving the car substantially & 3) I don't drive 70 miles round trip to work any more."
. . . I believe you hit upon it. My wife does not drive the our Camry like a hybrid, she drives it like an electric golf cart, on the accelerator or on the brake, nothing much in between. MPG rockets downward when we do that around town. If it wasn't for my 40 mile roundtrip commute, my MPG would not be consistently 39 mpg. So, for her, the better car is the Corolla 5-speed manual. The clutch gets worked out when you are an accelerator all the time. It kind of grabs your attention to modify your right foot because your left foot is getting a work out all the time

Quick Reply: Toyota Camry Hybrid - MPG Issues

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands