Toyota Camry Hybrid - A finicky or fragile car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Toyota Camry Hybrid - A finicky or fragile car?

I have driven a 4 cylinder Toyota Corolla for the past three years.

I test drove a loaded Camry Hybrid this evening.

I drove the Camry Hybrid on the freeway with the salesperson and asked him how well it cornered. He acted like I shouldn't be asking about that. I accelerated the car to see its power and tested the strength of the cars brakes.

Hence - a test drive.

When we were complete the saleperson suggested we go try another car in the Toyota lineup that was more of a performance car. He said the hybrid was not for me. He acted like the car was finicky and fragile and gave me the impression the car was mean for a geriatric driver.

Is the car really that fragile?

Old 12-24-2006, 04:14 AM
Enthusiast
Old 12-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Toyota Camry Hybrid - A finicky or fragile car?

It corners like the XLE-V6, it brakes similar to the XLE-V6 (no regen in the XLE) but the TCH does NOT accelerate like an XLE-V6. If you reeeeely need a V-6 because of your driving habits looks elsewhere. The TCH beats the Camry's with a L4 engine but it is not in the same class as the V-6 in off the line acceleration, passing and hill climbing.
I own one of each so I know about which I speak.
I drive the TCH and the wife drives the XLE-V6. Both cars have their niches. The TCH for around town the XLE-V6 for trips.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:09 AM
it's just a car...

It's a CAMRY, not a Porsche.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think if you went on a test drive and was only interested in corning and accelleration then you might should look elsewhere. The Camry does a fine job, but it is no where near sporty. The V6 is impressive. My mom has one and I drove it last night. It handles the same as the TCH. You will loose out on MPG. If you want a Camry, but dont care about MPG get a SE V6.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Maybe I'm weird, but I believe that if you have to ask the car salesperson anything about the car you're test-driving, you haven't done enough research. I don't trust salespeople, clerks, etc., to know anything about what they're selling. I've been burned a few times by salespeople. Sometimes I even ask leading questions to get them to say what I already know.

If I'm taking a test-drive, it's because I want to know how the car feels and handles for me, and the salesperson might as well stay in the showroom.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

I too drove a tastfully modified 9th generation Corolla for three years before buying the TCH, and although the car has body roll, I am satisfied with its abilities.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast

Advice: Perform another testdrive with a different salesperson who keeps their mouth shut. Get on a "quiet" freeway and make sudden, SAFE lane changes and passes -- all at legal speeds mind you. Aside from annoying body roll and tail swing, the TCH is stable and confident on the highway. It corners like a boat, however, but feels well-planted to the road. Sorry, I've driven Mazdas for 18 years... Camrys are a for a conservative driver... but I like driving both for different reasons. Have fun!

Old 12-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

If all the performance you are used to is a Corolla, the TCH will be just fine!

Old 12-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Enthusiast

My father has a jasper pearl hybrid,had it since june of 06.I have driven it on numerous occasions and it is a fun car to drive just get out on the highway and give her it just keeps pulling to well above the legal speed limits,it corners not bad, brakes decent.It is a very well rounded car that I don't mind driving when I can.I have a 2000 camaro SS and a 2000 gmc sierra z71 so fuel mileage is not my top priority.