Tools for TCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Tools for TCH

I'm planning a small tool box to carry in my (US-built) 2009 TCH, and I could use some help selecting the tools.

I used to haul my comprehensive tool box around in my trunk. It was big and heavy, but it gave me a feeling of security to believe that I had a good chance of having a needed tool. Of course, this was a habit formed decades ago when trunks were huge, gas was cheap, and my cars were so heavy that the weight of the tool box was "lost in the round-off." Over the years, I accumulated more and more tool weight. (My tool box weight took a "quantum leap in the late 70's when I got cars that required all metric tools for anything on the body/chassis and US (SAE) tools for anything on the engine and accessories.)

Now my trunk is pretty small, and I've become more conscious of the gas cost of hauling unnecessary weight. So, I'm trying to plan the minimum tool kit that would still be comprehensive for this car.

Has anyone already worked this problem ? If so could you post a list of tools ?

Short of that, can anyone answer these Q's ?

1. Are there any US-dimensioned nuts, bolts, screws, etc., or are there all metric ? And what range of socket sizes is needed ?

2. What kind of drivers are needed (cross, Torx, star, Allen, square, hex, etc.) and again what range of sizes is needed ?

3. What other tools or special tools are particularly useful for this car ?

Thanks for any help.

Jack

Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Tools for TCH

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
3. What other tools or special tools are particularly useful for this car
I carry a kit containing:
Flash light, road flares, orange reflective vest, orange reflective poncho, a couple space blankets, jumper cables, small air compressor, tire plug kit, lug-wrench, jack, and a few basic hand tools.

I have used pliers and knife to install a tire plug in a previous vehicle. Other than that, the hand tools are basically for sentimental value. I don't think they could actually be useful for this car. Almost everything else that can go wrong with this car requires a specialized computer to diagnose.

The only "tools" that I can think of that might be useful would be:
1. Contact information for towing company and Toyota dealers;
2. Credit card with high limit.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
I carry a kit containing:
Flash light, road flares, orange reflective vest, orange reflective poncho, a couple space blankets, jumper cables, small air compressor, tire plug kit, lug-wrench, jack, and a few basic hand tools.

I have used pliers and knife to install a tire plug in a previous vehicle. Other than that, the hand tools are basically for sentimental value. I don't think they could actually be useful for this car. Almost everything else that can go wrong with this car requires a specialized computer to diagnose.

The only "tools" that I can think of that might be useful would be:
1. Contact information for towing company and Toyota dealers;
2. Credit card with high limit.
Thanks very much for the quick and useful reply, Steve, and particularly for your kit contents. Good list.

Your mention of the vest and poncho and flares should prod me to put those items in the car. If so, the life we might save could be mine !!!!

To reciprocate, I have a suggestion back to you.

Re. the jumper cables: I suggest, instead, a portable re-chargeable battery (with cables).

Traditional jumper cables are of limited value with this car. Jump starting will not actually start this car. The only thing you can do is to use cables to charge the 12-v. battery from another vehicle to get enough charge to turn on the 12-v. system so that you can start the car with the BIG battery. And a quite small 12-v. battery will actually suffice for that. Furthermore, using the TCH to jump start another vehicle is forbidden; so not much use to carrying the jumpers for that purpose either. I carry the portable battery for that purpose.

I'm still looking for more kit lists if there are an out there - and also for the other answers.

Jack

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 01-30-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
I'm planning a small tool box to carry in my (US-built) 2009 TCH, and I could use some help selecting the tools.

I used to haul my comprehensive tool box around in my trunk. It was big and heavy, but it gave me a feeling of security to believe that I had a good chance of having a needed tool. Of course, this was a habit formed decades ago when trunks were huge, gas was cheap, and my cars were so heavy that the weight of the tool box was "lost in the round-off." Over the years, I accumulated more and more tool weight. (My tool box weight took a "quantum leap in the late 70's when I got cars that required all metric tools for anything on the body/chassis and US (SAE) tools for anything on the engine and accessories.)

Now my trunk is pretty small, and I've become more conscious of the gas cost of hauling unnecessary weight. So, I'm trying to plan the minimum tool kit that would still be comprehensive for this car.

Has anyone already worked this problem ? If so could you post a list of tools ?

Short of that, can anyone answer these Q's ?

1. Are there any US-dimensioned nuts, bolts, screws, etc., or are there all metric ? And what range of socket sizes is needed ?

2. What kind of drivers are needed (cross, Torx, star, Allen, square, hex, etc.) and again what range of sizes is needed ?

3. What other tools or special tools are particularly useful for this car ?

Thanks for any help.

Jack
A lot would depend on what sorts of issues you expect to resolve by the roadside - and what sorts of spares you'd expect to carry. Tools would be only a partial solution without the common spares.

That said, I usually carry the a breaker bar with a socket for the wheel lugs (the standard lug wrench is a bit short). I also have the 'common' (8mm to 19 mm) metric 3/8 drive sockets, screw driver/pry bar, and the kit has TORX Phillips and hex key bits as well. A roll of duct tape, a tiny VOM, and have been considering including the scan tool to have the car 'tell me where it hurts'. The whole kit, including rags and gloves, fits in the spare well - but the scan tool would cause overflow. I also have a qt of oil, and qt of coolant. On my other vehicles, I also had the critical drive belts - I have yet to purchase one for the Camry.

Figure if anything more complex than that happens, it'll be beyond fixing by the roadside.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Frodo
A lot would depend on what sorts of issues you expect to resolve by the roadside - and what sorts of spares you'd expect to carry. Tools would be only a partial solution without the common spares.

That said, I usually carry the a breaker bar with a socket for the wheel lugs (the standard lug wrench is a bit short). I also have the 'common' (8mm to 19 mm) metric 3/8 drive sockets, screw driver/pry bar, and the kit has TORX Phillips and hex key bits as well. A roll of duct tape, a tiny VOM, and have been considering including the scan tool to have the car 'tell me where it hurts'. The whole kit, including rags and gloves, fits in the spare well - but the scan tool would cause overflow. I also have a qt of oil, and qt of coolant. On my other vehicles, I also had the critical drive belts - I have yet to purchase one for the Camry.

Figure if anything more complex than that happens, it'll be beyond fixing by the roadside.
Thanks, Dave for the useful kit list.

That is the level of kit i was thinking of.

In fact I was thinking of a soft case kit that might fit in the pass-through slot behind the rear passenger seat.

I take it that you see no need for US (SAE) dimensioned sockets.

Side note. Several times, over the years, I found myself broken down with a simple repair, in town, and some distance from home, but within walking distance of an auto parts store. Bur that was in earlier times when there were more simple repairs that a guy could actually DIY on.

Jack

Old 01-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Std road kit would consist of 9 to 19mm combo wrenches, 3/8 ratchet, 1, 2 and 6" extension, 6 to 19mm sockets, #2 and #3 philips, .035 and .050 flat blade screwdriver, Needle nose, slip joint, small channel lock style and vise grip pliers, set of torx bits and driver handle for them, a small hammer (ball pein or drilling), electrical tape, side cutting wire pliers, duct tape, spare belt, oil and antifreeze.

Add to that as required for your needs and skill level.

Edit: All of the above will fit in a small road kit bag in the pass thru slot....

Old 01-30-2010, 06:38 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

and a gun in case you need quick cash or another car while your TCH is being serviced!

Old 01-30-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by jpezz
and a gun in case you need quick cash or another car while your TCH is being serviced!
Here in Texas, we usually just keep a short-barreled shotgun in plain sight mounted to the rear window, in case we need to negotiate with a service manager or such.

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 01-30-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-30-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Std road kit would consist of 9 to 19mm combo wrenches, 3/8 ratchet, 1, 2 and 6" extension, 6 to 19mm sockets, #2 and #3 philips, .035 and .050 flat blade screwdriver, Needle nose, slip joint, small channel lock style and vise grip pliers, set of torx bits and driver handle for them, a small hammer (ball pein or drilling), electrical tape, side cutting wire pliers, duct tape, spare belt, oil and antifreeze.

Add to that as required for your needs and skill level.

Edit: All of the above will fit in a small road kit bag in the pass thru slot....
Thanks, David.

Another useful kit list - and this time with sizes !

Any idea what sizes of TorX drivers are actually needed on this car ?

Is this yet another vote that no US (SAE) dimensioned tools are needed ?

Jack

Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

There are NO SAE fasteners on the Camry. There are very few SAE fasteners on ANY car produced and sold here anymore. For the torx, everything from a T10 to a T50 will cover most everything on the Camry. Instead of T handles, use a bit set in a driver handle for the smaller sizes and a 3/8 socket on the larger ones. Do the same with hex bits also. The hex bits are used for fill and drain plugs in several places.

If you have the room, add a set of hose clamp pliers, spare hose clamps, a small pick set, spare headlight bulb and, if your wife or daughter drives the car, a torque multiplier to enable them to change a flat easily.

Quick Reply: Tools for TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands