Too much air in my tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Too much air in my tires

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
What other tires come on the camry???
Japanese TCH's were being delivered with either Michelin or Bridgestone tires. I have not read if anybody found a pattern as to what car got what tire (i.e. factory dependent?). I have no idea if the Kentucky plant is using strictly one or the other.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
Michelin@42 psi That is what they read now and its about 20 degrees out I had put 50 psi in when it was really bad
50psi??? 44psi is max tire pressure for max load... I have mine at 32psi cold tire and when I drove it at least 20 miles one time I checked the pressure and it showed 36psi...

btw, I do get above 43MPG and would not recommend to anyone to deviate from manufacturer recommended cold tire pressure which is 32psi on the 2007 TCH.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:24 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver

Gee, my tires are 18 pounds over factory recommendation, why does my Camry ride rough?

Future Rocket Scientist in training?

Old 12-03-2006, 05:47 PM
joe540ci

AKM
somewhat smart ***
It don't take much of a IQ to make smart as remarks.
I do have 34 psi now and it rides fine. Thanks for the post AGNOSTO. I am always trying new things,the 50 psi deal was not a very good one !!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:04 AM

I run 42psi front, 40psi rear. However, I have the Bridgestone tires that are rated 50psi max. I am pretty sure if I had them at 50psi I would not like the ride. I really don't notice much differance in ride compared to the 35psi Toyota recommends for highway driving.

I suspect that the folks with Michelin tires notice more of a change in ride comfort at 40 psi, as it has been reported here the max psi lower (44psi ?).

Old 12-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Dazed and Confused

I run mine at 40 PSI and have the bridgestone tires. i don't feel the ride is bad at all, but I came from a land Rover that would bruise you on the smoothest road in the world, and my other vehicle is a 3/4 ton truck, so a supple ride it does not give. In comparison, the Camry with the high pressure feels like a Lexus.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Arrow Re: Too much air in my tires

I have Bridgestones and run my tires at 40+ PSI (NOT 50!!!). The ride quality is not inferior to mid-30s PSI, and I find the handling and steering response much improved.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
... I find the handling and steering response much improved.
Would you please share with us some objective and quantitative numbers like your improved stopping distances, increased lateral G force before fishtailing? You did perform extensive testing to support your "handing and steering" improvement statement didn't you? I am most interested in improving mine too.
Every time I've cranked up my tire pressure I find my braking distances, lateral traction, general ride go into the crapper. It does decrease the tendancy to hydroplane to a small extent. I'll give you that.
Tnx.

Last edited by schmidtj; 12-04-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Arrow Re: Too much air in my tires

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Would you please share with us some objective and quantitative numbers like your improved stopping distances, increased lateral G force before fishtailing? You did perform extensive testing to support your "handing and steering" improvement statement didn't you? I am most interested in improving mine too.
I raced cars weekly for years, and have worked with both new and modified cars for my entire adult life. I have been featured in Road & Track magazine (interviewed by the Editor). If I say my handlling and steering response are much improved, you can relax knowing that I understand what I'm talking about. If you find you don't like higher pressures, don't use them. But there is no reason to base your posts here on sarcasm or belligerence, as others have pointed out to you in the past.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I raced cars weekly for years, and have worked with both new and modified cars for my entire adult life. I have been featured in Road & Track magazine (interviewed by the Editor). If I say my handlling and steering response are much improved, you can relax knowing that I understand what I'm talking about. If you find you don't like higher pressures, don't use them. But there is no reason to base your posts here on sarcasm or belligerence, as others have pointed out to you in the past.
Is this response really called for? I am deeply hurt. It also bothers me when self proclaimed experts make dogmatic statements that others (less educated as you and I) will accept as gosple truth and (in this case) spin out on a clover leaf after over inflating their tires based on your previous statement. How about a disclaimer or two?

Quick Reply: Too much air in my tires

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands