Tire Presure

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Tire Presure

I just traded in my 2005 fully loaded prius for a 2007 fully loaded camry hybrid. I was wondering what tire pressures you guys are running. I only have 600 miles on the car and am averaging 36; which I am happy with. Thanks for any suggestions you guys might have as to possibly improving the mileage. I'm already using the ECO mode.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Presure

Depends upon whose tires you have. I have Michellin and use 40 psig. Bridgestone's have a higher maximum pressure. If I had them, I would probably use 44 psig.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silvertch
I was wondering what tire pressures you guys are running. I only have 600 miles on the car and am averaging 36; which I am happy with.
I'm sure you will enjoy the ride of the heavier, quieter camry hybrid. I have just over 1000 miles on my new TCH. My car came with Michelin Energy S8 tires. I read here in the forms that many use 40 psi 'cold' so thats what I went with. I was amazed at how smooth and quiet the car was at that pressure. Maximum on these Energy tires is 44 psi.

With your knowledge of driving the Prius you should be good at getting high gas mileage with your new TCH. That may be after your first 5000 mile oil change and the engine being near broke-in. The Toyota tech at our local dealer recommended to me, using 0w-20 synthetic oil. I live in a desert area with temps up to 105 during the summer. So with synthetic it should be ok.

I'm in a small town and no auto stores here carries it yet. I found out the local Toyota dealer sells it for $4.99 per quart. I do my own oil changes.

Burt

Last edited by rburt07; 08-21-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

I have the bridgestone tires on my car from the factory. I will be replacing them shortly (at about 35,000 miles when I get my next oil change) with the michelin s8 energy tires.

I have been running about 40 - 45 PSI in the tires and the ride has been great. i don't like a really mushy tire for steering response and I can't really tell a difference in the ride of the tire at 32 PSI or 45 PSI. The car has a nice ride either way. When I put the new tires on I will run them at about 42 PSI give or take a bit.

I plan to have the dealer change the tires using tires I got from tirerack. com as well as do an alignment, and some minor warranty work just before the warranty runs out.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:00 PM
pjp
Enthusiast

Sorry for what must be a dumb question, but here goes:

If tire pressure is supposed to be measured cold, how do you adjust the pressure (from factory spec up into the 40s, for example) if you don't have an air compressor in your garage? Is a ten minute, low-speed drive to the local gas station going to be OK, or will even that exaggerate the readings? Otherwise, what do you do, leave the car parked at the gas station for some amount of time (how long?) until the tires have cooled again?

Old 08-23-2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by pjp

If tire pressure is supposed to be measured cold, how do you adjust the pressure (from factory spec up into the 40s, for example) if you don't have an air compressor in your garage? Is a ten minute, low-speed drive to the local gas station going to be OK, or will even that exaggerate the readings? Otherwise, what do you do, leave the car parked at the gas station for some amount of time (how long?) until the tires have cooled again?
I was wondering the same thing. What I was planning on doing was reading the pressure at home, after the car sits overnight, and then drive to the gas station and measure again. If I see a significant difference, I'll be able to compensate for it. (ie. if every tire is up 1 psi, then I'll fill to the desired level minus 1 psi).

Old 08-23-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by pjp

A 10 minute low speed (35 - 45mph) drive should not affect your tire pressure significantly. If you are worried, inflate a few extra pounds and check the pressure next morning.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 PM
pjp
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
A 10 minute low speed (35 - 45mph) drive should not affect your tire pressure significantly. If you are worried, inflate a few extra pounds and check the pressure next morning.
There's a good, practical answer. Thanks for the dose of common sense!

Old 08-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

40psi in my Michelin S8's. They were at 29 from the dealer...

Scott

Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by cast_and_blast
40psi in my Michelin S8's. They were at 29 from the dealer...Scott
That reminds me of the brand new Chevy Cavalier I bought in the early 90's. I remember the first few days it had sloppy steering. It felt like the brakes were on when I let off the gas to coast to a red light. A few nights later after the tires had cooled, I went out to check the tire pressures. It was something like 26 in the rears and 28 in the fronts. I took it the next day to a station and aired all the tires up to 38. That night after they had cooled, I brought them back down to 35 psi. What a difference that was. I was upset thinking the wear that low tire pressure might have caused.

I have ran 35 psi cold in all my earlier cars till we got the new TCH. 40 psi works fine in the michelin's and it does improve the gas mileage.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-24-2007 at 01:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire Presure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands