TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR?

I've seen messages from several TCH owners who've upgraded to aftermarket (larger) rims and have just transferred the valve stems under the (mistaken?) assumption the sensor is in the stem. The sensor is a separate mechanism in the rim. I wonder if aftermarket rims can accept these sensors from the old rim?
J

Last edited by schmidtj; 08-25-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:01 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by Ladybug
Is this a standard feature in the TCH? I didn't even know I had it. Can you get it to display what the pressure is currently set to?
Alas fellow Canadian, the Tire Pressure Monitor system is not standard on the Canadian model. To be honest, I'm not even sure it's available as an option...

Old 08-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

This bears out an idea that I had read somwhere that the TPM will alert on a 5% change in pressure. If the 29 reported in CrisCross' post when set at 35 and after a reset, that would be 20.62% but then you might not have noticed on right away.
Still important to know from someone that it does work.. and that is ok with me.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

That's too bad. It sounds like a nice feature to have.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WillyBill
This bears out an idea that I had read somwhere that the TPM will alert on a 5% change in pressure. If the 29 reported in CrisCross' post when set at 35 and after a reset, that would be 20.62% but then you might not have noticed on right away.
Still important to know from someone that it does work.. and that is ok with me.
It may have been my post that reported the 35 and notification at 29. The problem in assuming that this indicates 20+% is:

1. Perhaps I didn't notice the light right away..(as you stated)
2. Perhaps, the time that passed between me noticing the light, then getting to a safe place to check the tires, and actually checking all 4 tires to see which one was low, allowed more air to escape. Doesn't it just figure that it would be the 4th tire I checked that was low????

Old 08-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Boy am I miffed !.. I just got through reporting that my dealer had set my tire pressure at 36psi when I took it in for service. They were real nice and said sure no problem. They even checked it off on the service report at 36psi.
Today I checked them as we are about to take a long trip. One was 31.5 two were at 32.5 and one was at 33. None were at 36 as I had instructed!.. Not only that, two right side tire stem caps were missing!..
I checked the tires when cold and with an accurate digital tire pressure guage.

Lesson learned here.. Check them yourself !!

Old 08-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks to StevenVillotoro on this reminder !
So, for all of you who are experimenting with tire pressures, don't forget to do a reset EACH time. The simple instructions are on Page 174 of the Owner's Manual. Basically, you Power ON, then press the Reset switch in the glovebox for a few seconds until your tire pressure icon on the main gauge display slowly flashes three times.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:48 PM

Bill, additionally, i seem to rememeber the instructions saying to leave the "power ON" for a few minutes after the icon blinks the 3 times. Also, seem to remember a posting online somewhere that indicated it took each sensor 1 minute to register and/or send the new pressure as the default.

edit: OK, it was the .pdf posted in this thread #10 by schmidtj ..scroll to CH-75, #3, 4th bullet:

-During the initialization, the tire pressure warning system valve & transmitter measures the inflation pressure of the tires, and registers the signals that are transmitted into the ECU at a frequency of 1 per minute. The initialization process is completed when the signals from the tires have been received.

-Once the tire pressure warning system reset switch has been pressed, turning OFF the power switch is not recommended for a few minutes.

Last edited by jbollt; 08-29-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Arrow Re: TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR?

Small correction WillyBill... it's Villatoro, not Villotoro. How've you been?

Old 10-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

The below is not an issue with the 2007 TPMS but an incompetency of toyota dealership(s)....:

It is the 2nd time the Tire Pressure Warning Light comes on steadily after blinking for about 1 minute or more.

Before taking delivery of my 2007 TCH, I found the driver rear (RL) left tire had a screw on the tire tread enough to cause it 3 psi lower than the other tires. Anyhow, I told them to replace ONLY the tire and not the rim. After many attempts and frustration, I took possesion of the vehicle and within 30 min. or so the Tire Pressure Warning Light came on steadily after blinking for 1 minute, so I pulled over to check if there was any tire with low pressure, but no issue there, so I drove the car again.

Next day I went to my local toyota dealer and told them that I am suspecting that the rim was replaced and not only the tire on the other dealership and when the service advisor called my salesman he said that only the tire was replaced and then I got so mad I took the phone and told the salesman to go and find out precisely what was done from the service manager and when he came back on the phone sure enough the whole wheel (rim+tire) was swapped from another non-hybrid 07 Camry XLE. When I asked him why?? Did not I say DO NOT do that only replace the tire, his response was this is what I was told they did (talking about QA service from Peterson Toyota, NC).

Now after supposedly they reprogramed the new ID code into ECU I got the Tire Pressure Warning Light on again after 6 days (maybe is a different issue -- not sure), but I believe they did not follow the below step to have all 4 ID codes reprogrammed into ECU (but 6 days to show the inaccuracy??):

"When replacing the tire pressure warning system valve & transmitter, all the separate ID codes of the 4-tire pressure warning system valve & transmitter must be registered. Even if only 1 tire pressure warning system valve & transmitter is replaced, the ID codes of all 4 tire pressure warning valve & transmitter must be registered again."

Will call on Monday and find out what the next step will be and hopeffuly the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) will have the specific error to get it fixed.

P.S.
As an FYI, I have done multiple resets of the TPMS, but w/o any success.)

Last edited by agnosto; 10-01-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands