Is there a 'better' brand of gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is there a 'better' brand of gas

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
This is what I was told by someone I know in the gasoline business, although he worked for a petroleum-research company, and not a gasoline distributor.

I have a hard time believing that. I certainly hope that the tanks delivering gas I use don't have sludge in them. I also don't see mom & pop waiting until the tank get low to get their second rate gasoline.
You realize that the "container" I'm talking about is not a tanker truck dropping off fuel at your local gas station, right? I'm talking about the huge oil/gas containers that hold several million gallons that a refinery would use. I oversimplified things, but your large distributors would purchase from the refineries, then your local distributors would buy from larger distributors, then local mom&pop would buy from the local distributor, not from the refinery which I'm talking about.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
Well, I questioned Discover about this when I first contacted them (in response to the Citibank notice of the reduced % cashback, and they kinda indicated this, but then said it realy depends on how the merchant ("club") inputs the charge for the gas to the credit card company. Telling me "if it was obvious that it was gas, than the 5% would apply."

I have been buying gas at Sam's Club for some time on my Citi-bank card that is changing to 2% from 5%, and each charge says "SAMS GAS STATION TUCSON AZ" (from the citibank website) so I have been getting the 5%. For what it's worth, Citibank also told me that the merchanct had to submit the charge under one of 2 different codes that indicated a gas purchase for it to pay the 5%.

Hope this helps, and my apologies if this is slightly off topic of the thread title.
Additionally: I just checked my acct on Discovercard.com, and here is a copy and paste of my first gas purchase at Sams Club:
08/28/06
SAMS CLUB - #6692 TUCSON AZ$41.25 Gasoline

Last edited by jbollt; 08-31-2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
WVGasGuy

You realize that the "container" I'm talking about is not a tanker truck dropping off fuel at your local gas station, right?

Yeah, I just have a hard time believing gas is distributed in that way, for one I can't imagine large storage tanks ever becoming empty enough to give the "mom and pops" the sludge from the bottom on a consistant basis.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cohort
Saw this on CNN.com I went to find the article but it was gone.
(FYI)
It said gas should drop to $2.00 to $2.50 by Thanksgiving
Gas is falling fast here in J-Ville, Reg is now in the $2.60's

How great will it be when gas is $2.00 ish and we get 30 to 40 MPG WOOT!

Old 09-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cohort
Gas is falling fast here in J-Ville, Reg is now in the $2.60's

How great will it be when gas is $2.00 ish and we get 30 to 40 MPG WOOT!
Hit $2.45 in Mpls today

Old 09-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
Hit $2.45 in Mpls today
Lucky you, I paid $3.19 for regular today in Hawaii

Old 09-10-2006, 04:49 AM
WVGasGuy

Lucky you, I paid $3.19 for regular today in Hawaii

Good to see you posting again. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I'd pay $4/gallon and never compain if I was able to fill up while looking at the Pacific with the shade of palm trees. You're the LUCKY one.

It's $2.54 in West Virginia today.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I'd pay $4/gallon and never compain if I was able to fill up while looking at the Pacific with the shade of palm trees. You're the LUCKY one..
You've got a point there...I guess our gas is a "better" brand just because it is in Hawaii, right?

Be glad you weren't here this week when they shut the H-1 freeway down for 13 hours due to an accident....what a mess the traffic was. And I am proud to say that even with being stuck in stop and go (actually, mostly stop) traffic for 2 1/2 hours, my TCH averaged 37.1 miles per gallon on that tank of gas.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:11 AM
WVGasGuy

I guess our gas is a "better" brand just because it is in Hawaii, right?

Do they add coconut smell to the gasoline?

I can't think of a better place to be stuck in a traffic jam. I'm (jasper) green with envy.