Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
The 5% cash bonus is only on the first $1200 spend on gas

Is that per year? Yes, that's per year.

$1200 in gas goes a long way in a TCH, even at $3.00+/gallon

Old 08-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is there a 'better' brand of gas

Originally Posted by Eskimonio
Just curious... I usually fill @ Sam's Club, but a buddy told me their gas was sub par.

My gut feeling is that gas is pretty homogenous, but I'm not 100% sure. Due to the high level of intelligence found on these forums, I thought I'd throw it out to find out what the consensus is, or if anyone can point me to some substantive proof that Mobil is better than Exxon, etc. Or if there's a true reason I should be avoiding Sam's Club (BJs back east) to fill my tank.

My understanding is "gas is gas" is mostly right. there are only so many refineries and all the gas coems through those refinieres, regardless of what brand it is. the major difference I have been told is in the additives. Several years ago I was told my technical people (not the dealers, but closer to the engineers) from Toyota and Mazda that Chevron had better gas, essentially their Techron is what makes them a better gas. Since then I heard that Texaco was up there with them or beat them, but guess what, Chevron merges with Texaco and now who know, either way, if i have my choice I buy Chevron or Texaco. If I can't get them I look for Amoco or Shell or will go with Quick Trip. Not a big fan of Exxon since their crappy attitude with the Valdez spill, but as they merged with Mobile they still get my money form Mobil1 and their filters. Additionally all gas needs to meet certain minimum requirements and I doubt any of it will harm your car unless a bad batch makes it through.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:20 AM
We have an Accord!

Gas is gas, and it is true that the only difference is in the additive package that is added into the load of gas in the tanker truck, BP owns a refinery and all the stations that use that refinery are using BP gas, but when the tanker takes on the load then the brand it is going to adds their own additive package at the time of loading it up.

Same with an area that Exxon owns the refinery, or shell or whom ever.

Chevron is the best gas due to their additive package, but remember they start out with what ever gas is being refined by who ever owns that refinery and it is their additive package that makes the difference.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The way gasoline is sold is that the most expensive gas is at the top of the container, because any sedatives/sludge sinks to the bottom. As the various merchants purchase their gas, the top of the container tank is more expensive, and the bottom of the tank is less expensive.

Are you serious? (never can tell on posts)
This is what I was told by someone I know in the gasoline business, although he worked for a petroleum-research company, and not a gasoline distributor.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CaptJackSparrow
Gas is gas, and it is true that the only difference is in the additive package that is added into the load of gas in the tanker truck, BP owns a refinery and all the stations that use that refinery are using BP gas, but when the tanker takes on the load then the brand it is going to adds their own additive package at the time of loading it up.
Sounds right to me. It's not like better gas is pumped out of the ground at diffrent locations around the world. The additives are what make the diffrence and I'm sure when you buy the cheap mom and pop gas nothing but the bare minimum (state or Fed laws) was done to make the gas better. When you go to Shell or Exxon..., the extra price you see (4 to 8 cents) is the price for the additive.

My question is, I noticed Shell sold V-Power. I understand this to be for High performance cars. When I buy Shell 87, am I getting those good additives or is it only in their higher priced gas (93 or whatever)? (I'm guessing additives are added to 87 but not as much)

Saw this on CNN.com I went to find the article but it was gone.
(FYI)
It said gas should drop to $2.00 to $2.50 by Thanksgiving

Last edited by cohort; 08-30-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

The 5% cash bonus is only on the first $1200 spend on gas

Is that per year?

$1200 in gas goes a long way in a TCH, even at $3.00+/gallon

Yes, WV, but it the year counter starts on your anniversary date, and they cannot enact the changeover to the gas card until your new billing cycle.

i.e. My billing cycle ends on the 13th of the month, so when I called today, she told me, the 5% won't start adding up until September 13, at which point I'll have 5% bonus on my first $1200 spent on gas or until my CARD ANNIVERSARY date, whichever comes first. In my situation, it just so happens that my card anniversary date is October 13th, so I can get 5% on up to $1200 worth of gas from Sept 13 to Oct 13th, and then my $1200 counter resets to zero again and I can get the 5% until I surpass $1200 or until Oct 2007, whichever comes first.

***NOTE - she did clarify for me that any gasoline purchased at 'warehouse' stores like Sam's club or Costco or BJs do NOT receive 5% and in fact only receive 1/4%...yes that's 25 basis points or .25% -- So although I think this is a great deal, and switched my card over...I will most likely stop getting gas at Sam's as long as I can find another station nearby that's within the breakeven point of $. 15 per gallon. Just thought I'd advise others.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:28 PM
WVGasGuy

It's not like better gas is pumped out of the ground at diffrent locations around the world.

You do realize the gasoline comes out of the ground as OIL and goes through a refinery process where various products are produced from the oil (diesel, gasoline,etc...)

Old 08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
WVGasGuy

This is what I was told by someone I know in the gasoline business, although he worked for a petroleum-research company, and not a gasoline distributor.

I have a hard time believing that. I certainly hope that the tanks delivering gas I use don't have sludge in them. I also don't see mom & pop waiting until the tank get low to get their second rate gasoline.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's not like better gas is pumped out of the ground at diffrent locations around the world.

You do realize the gasoline comes out of the ground as OIL and goes through a refinery process where various products are produced from the oil (diesel, gasoline,etc...)
yes, I was trying to be simple

Old 08-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimonio
***NOTE - she did clarify for me that any gasoline purchased at 'warehouse' stores like Sam's club or Costco or BJs do NOT receive 5% and in fact only receive 1/4%...yes that's 25 basis points or .25% -- So although I think this is a great deal, and switched my card over...I will most likely stop getting gas at Sam's as long as I can find another station nearby that's within the breakeven point of $. 15 per gallon. Just thought I'd advise others.
Well, I questioned Discover about this when I first contacted them (in response to the Citibank notice of the reduced % cashback, and they kinda indicated this, but then said it realy depends on how the merchant ("club") inputs the charge for the gas to the credit card company. Telling me "if it was obvious that it was gas, than the 5% would apply."

I have been buying gas at Sam's Club for some time on my Citi-bank card that is changing to 2% from 5%, and each charge says "SAMS GAS STATION TUCSON AZ" (from the citibank website) so I have been getting the 5%. For what it's worth, Citibank also told me that the merchanct had to submit the charge under one of 2 different codes that indicated a gas purchase for it to pay the 5%.

Hope this helps, and my apologies if this is slightly off topic of the thread title.

Quick Reply: Is there a 'better' brand of gas

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands