Thank you TCH community!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Thank you TCH community!

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you for all your support, question answering, and of course all of the question answering I am sure you will provide in the future!

The story (a little long and sappy):
It actually begins when I was 16 years old and dreamed of once owning a Toyota Tacoma. At that time I was driving a manual transmission 1988 Camry and it was a great car! Around 2000 it started to have a number of problems and it just was not worth keeping up with all the repairs.

As I searched for a new car, of course I wanted a truck, I was saddened to find that all the used Toyota Tacoma's carried a hefty price. So I settled for a Ford (oh I know...) Ranger purchased used from a Toyota dealer (how ironic) in July of 2001. The Ranger was not a bad truck although I absolutely despise Ford. The small 2.4 I4 engine gave ... ok ... power and it got me through all the harsh norther New York (Potsdam) winters.

After I graduated college and moved a little further south to Poughkeepsie, New York and the transmission started to go. This was a year and a half ago.

At that point I just wasted all my money to make the move and embarked on the long journey of saving for a new car (while finishing the payments on the Ranger).

After that year and a half I was able to scavenge enough for a down payment (I lived off eating those random free newspapers that get dropped off at my apartment) and decided it was time to start finding the best price on my new Toyota Tacoma. Then...my world changed.

We experienced a winter in Poughkeepsie where we saw 70 degree (F) days in January and that just was not right. I started to buy those compact florescent light bulbs and purchased a programmable thermostat and only buy 100% recycled paper towels. I figured that was not enough and determined that I did not use the utility of my Ranger all that often even though it has been more than handy at times. (Of course, yes, I watched "An Inconvenient Truth.&quot

So then came the test drive (at Wappingers Falls Toyota) and I have to say the Tacoma and the Camry Hybrid (TCH) both made portions of my brain excited and happy. After a horrible two week period of trying to find the answer and realizing I was about to pass on the teenage dream I decided for the better of the world and to support emerging technology I should buy the TCH.

I first went to a few colleagues who I knew owned the Toytoa Prius to ask where they got it as am new to the Poughkeepsie area. They all recommended Toyota of Newburgh. So, I check them out and they had a great after the sale policy (free loaner car, all oil changes to 100k free, and a free detailing at 100k).

After talking with them and giving the sale's rep my wishes he promised he would find the best price. Well, he never called me back and that did not look good at all. Then out of the blue the rep I spoke to about the Tacoma a few months back called me to see if I purchased a car and I told him the story (he was from the same dealership). He agreed to help me out and 20 minutes after I gave him my every desire he came back with a price -- $30,597!! I proceeded to tell him the other dealership was offering 4% above invoice and that was a ridiculous price. Again he calls back and now gives me $29,750 and rambles off the packages. Surprise surprise there was a package I did not want but that he just could not sell the car to me without, so finally he said he would give it for free. We now sit at $29,600.

Now, MSRP is about $31,400 and I know that $29,600 was not good enough so I headed to Wappingers Falls Toyota to get their best deal.

Right off the bat they gave me $29,500 (very close to the ending price at Toyota of Newburgh). Given that Toyota of Newburgh had that great service plan I felt the need to point this out. Once Wappingers Falls Toyota said they would meet the service deal I said you guys are about the same now and not one of you sticks out. They asked "what price would we have to give to get the other guys off the table?" I said $28,500. They left and came back saying they would give it to me for $28,500 (invoice is around $28,200). What a deal!

So I gave Toyota of Newburgh a final call and they never responded. Two day later (yesterday, Jan 27) I purchased the car from Wappingers Falls Toyota.

I came away with the following (rounded):

MSRP: $31,400
Savings: $ 2,900
Sale Price: $28,500
Rebate: $ 400 (college grad rebate)
Trade: $ 700 (all I could get for the Ranger!)
Adj. Sale: $27,400
Tax: $ 2,300
Tag: $ 200
Final: $29,900

After signing the paperwork I should hopefully have the car in a matter of weeks as Toyota builds my new TCH. I ordered:

Toyota Camry Hybrid
Black, ash leather
FE,CQ,LA,NV,SR,V5,CF,28

In conclusion, I will ask a 100 more questions when I get the car and plead with all of you for answers as well as say that my experience during the sale with Wappingers Falls Toyota was a good one. I cannot speak to their service department but I will find out in time. If you are in the Poughkeepsie area, you might want to give them a call -- they call back.

Updated on 3/30/07:

After finalizing my deal with DCH Wappingers Falls Toyota, I have to say the Business department could use some work. Over all I worked with three different people and it got a little out of hand. They also should do a better job of explaining the final bill. They did match the price for the 7/75/0 warranty that the other online dealers were offering so that made it easy to roll in.

I have had the car for a few hours and I have to say it is great. So far very quiet and it is fun to keep it in EV mode, which I have been able to do for minutes at a time due to my EV conducive commute. They car is very quiet and the black looks awesome. It turns out that I like the chrome grill and everything is in perfect shape. I will probably add mudguards as the puddles around here are prevalent and I have to add some custom lighting and door sill protectors.

As for squeaks, I have not heard them yet. And I would like to post that my car has auto down driver side window only (as my 1988 Camry had) and the radio truly picks up the FM station text when broadcasted. This is a Kentucky built car.

Thanks everyone!
Mike

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 03-30-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thank you TCH community!

Mike,

Sweeeetttt!

Black with Ash Leather??? High -5 big guy, great minds think alike!

Welcome aboard,

Larry

Old 01-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Congrats on the purchase Mike. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the story.

Good luck keeping the black clean LOL

Show us some pics when you get the car

Old 01-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast

Awesome. . . . I will be picking mine up later this week! Same color, same interior.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:09 PM

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to take come pictures as soon as it comes in...

Old 03-15-2007, 04:53 PM

Hi Everyone,

I stopped by the dealer yesterday to inquire about my car, they told me it was slotted for build completion on 3/15 (today) and then should be arriving at the dealer between 3/28 and 4/3. It is coming from Kentucky.

So....

I am VERY excited! So close....

Old 03-15-2007, 05:00 PM
rjm
Enthusiast

Congrats!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hey just think, some day soon, when everything is hybrid (or electric for that matter) you will get the hybrid truck you always wanted.

I more or less did a similar thing. I gave up 250 horses for a camry hybrid. I just couldnt rationalize driving around the city with all that hp and horrible gas milage.

Instead of wishing for a classic corvette, I now dream about Teslas.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:47 AM

Qsplugs: Well said. I am just waiting for Toyota to release a hybrid Tundra/Tacoma! Yes GM has a hybrid Chevy....but well, one work...?quality?....

Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Qsplugs: Well said. I am just waiting for Toyota to release a hybrid Tundra/Tacoma! Yes GM has a hybrid Chevy....but well, one work...?quality?....
Not to hyjack your thread but when you mention hybrid trucks, I was at the car show this week and talking to a Toyota rep about towing with a hybrid, he said you can tow 1,000 lbs with the car and when the trucks come out 5000 lbs.

Quick Reply: Thank you TCH community!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands