TCH vs. HCH - Why did you get TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default TCH vs. HAH - Why did you get TCH?

Why did you decide on the TCH over the Honda Accord Hybrid (or any other comparable hybrids)? What were your pros and cons during decision making process? Are you happy with your decision?

Last edited by leepark; 10-31-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH vs. HCH - Why did you get TCH?

I never even considered the HAH (Honda Accord Hybrid) (or HCH - Honda Civic Hybrid - as your title indicates). The Accord hybrid is designed for acceleration, not economy, and I have always prefered the Toyota product over Honda product. Comparing similar models between the two, the Toyota always seems quieter and smoother riding.

I am extremely happy with the fuel economy, performance, sophistication, ride quality, build quality, low emissions, and overall value of the TCH. I have absolutely no regrets.

Last edited by jbollt; 10-31-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:22 PM

TCH is a full-hybrid, while Accord is not. Our primary goal was fuel savings, so the full-hybrid engine made more sense. Also read many reviews that compared the two engines, and they all said the Toyota engine was more refined. e.g. less shudder when the two engines are engaging with each other.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

I forgot to add in my reasons for going with the TCH. I have been driving an Accord for the last 6 years (and another one several years prior). While the Accord is a good car, very reliable, it was nothing special. I've never owned a Toyota before but always wanted one. When it came time to buy a new car, I didn't even consider a Honda I decided (after looking at several others) the TCH was the car for me. Why?

(prior to purchase)
1. Wanted to get away from Honda and really wanted a Toyota
2. It was a Hybrid. My next car had to be a Hybrid.
3. Refreshing new style. I really think it looks GOOD - a combination of the Chrysler 300 side profile, Volvo back, and Mercedes hood. I got really tired of the Accord look, same old!
4. I like gadgets, and well, the TCH has them, eg, plasmacluster, bluetooth, ipod, mp3, display, etc. I almost got the NAV for the misc. "stuff" you get other than the nav but couldn't justify the price as I would hardly ever use the maps.

(after purchase)
1. Quality of the trim & fit is second to none! Honda, in comparison, is not even in the same league when it comes to quality and fit.
2. Ride is outstanding.
3. I love the smart key! I especially love not having to dig around for my keys when opening the trunk.
4. The turning radius is smaller making it much easier to maneuver in and out of tight spots.
5. Super QUIET! I test drove the Lexus ES350, and I swear the TCH is just as quiet.
6. Front and back seats are so roomy.
7. Very useful compartments, cup holders, etc., and lots of them.

I love everything about my TCH! If I had to do it again, I would buy the TCH, even if I had $20,000 more to spend!

Last edited by leepark; 10-31-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:06 PM

Gas mileage and older styling eliminated the HAH from my consideration. The HCH felt too small, and the engine seems to work hard to climb hills. The only other car I seriously considered was the Prius. It was close, but the comfort, ride quality, better visibility, and dare I say it... power on hills, convinced me the TCH was the best fit for me.

I have been quite happy with the TCH, and amazed at the fuel economy. My only wish is for a more comfortable head rest. I plan on checking out headrests from older Camry's to see if they fit the TCH.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

I used to own an 2003 Accord Coupe. It was a nice looking car and it certainly gained some attention, especially mine was a blue one. I wanted to change my car because I want a

A) Quieter car
B) smoother ride
C) Gas saving - my accord did prertty good, can get up to 34 in highway..
D) wants a 4 doors car.

I tested drive a Honda Accord 2006 EXL, not a hybrid. I love the fact that it is sportier than TCH, but it fails A, B and C comparing to TCH by a fraction.

HAH is outside my budget for maybe $2000, plus a smaller tax credit, which makes TCH a more attactive buy.

HAH is not a full hybrid, while TCH can use Electric motor while cruising under 40 mph.

I love the fact that TCH offers a better sounds system, better technology (especially Smart Key, VDIM ) and better fuel economy.

I am not saying HAH is not as good as TCH, but I think it is a car having a different target consumer with TCH.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

First, sorry about the typo in the title, it should be HAH.

Anyway, I would have bought the TCH over the HAH even if the price was the same. If I really wanted one, I probably could have gotten a fully loaded (w. NAV) HAH for the price I got my non-NAV TCH (I have a friend who would have made this happen). If the price was the same, what would you have done?

Old 10-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH vs. HAH - Why did you get TCH?

I passed on the HAH fdor several reasons, first and foremost was fule economy, the HAH hybrid is desigedn to add power not fuel economy. Had they had decent fuel numbers I might have opted for it, IF it had a better sound system, their 160 watt system is weak. The TCH gives me a big car with great MPG and an awesome JBL system!

Old 10-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

After we test drove the TCH in May we went home thinking we'd go test drive an HAH to see how we liked it. After all, they're both family sedans, right? Well... then I came home and started doing some research.

One of my new vehicle requirements was that the FE had to be at least as good as, if not better than, the FE in my 1999 Toyota Corolla. I was surprised when I looked up the info on the Accord and found that the FE was listed as 28/35. The HAH also cost more, and had less rear leg room (another of my new vehicle requirements was more rear passenger leg room). We decided that we wouldn't even bother with test driving the HAH.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

For those interested, I just posted the same question over on the HAH forum.

Quick Reply: TCH vs. HCH - Why did you get TCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands