TCH tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default TCH tire pressure

I've read about increasing the tire pressure to incresase MPG. First of all what is the Toyota recommended pressure? I know it's on my door jamb, but it's pouring outside.

What have people set their tire pressure to and how much of a difference have you noticed, not only in MPG but ride, handling, etc.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Default Re: TCH tire pressure

Got mine at 46 PSI, tire max is 51 PSI. Seems to ride and handle fine, not too bumpy or too soft. Looking forward to seeing how the up-inflate helps me on my 2800 mile trip to Texas which I start tomorrow !!!

Will report !!!!

Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I've read about increasing the tire pressure to incresase MPG. First of all what is the Toyota recommended pressure? I know it's on my door jamb, but it's pouring outside.

What have people set their tire pressure to and how much of a difference have you noticed, not only in MPG but ride, handling, etc.
The Toyota recommended presure, on the door jam, is 32/32 PSI. I put mine at that pressure. I tried 40PSI and it rode hard in my opinion. Back at 32 psi I may not get the very best mileage but the car ride feels better to me.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:29 AM
Arrow Re: TCH tire pressure

Still running mine at 46/44 PSI, and doing fine.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Enthusiast

So Steve, should I try upping the 32 pressure to 35, 38, 40, 42, 44? They are the Michellin tires. Are there digital tire gauges out there?

Yes, I finally got to join the club. Didn't think I would get it before Father's Day but here I am.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:52 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Isn't the recommended pressure "recommended" because that is optimal for traction too? Are you increasing your emergency and wet road braking distance by pushing your tires to the higher limits of pressure?

Last edited by Droid13; 06-18-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Arrow Re: TCH tire pressure

I don't know of anyone on any site who would 'recommend' that you raise your tire pressures. The best thing you can do is to educate yourself by going to sites such as insightcentral.net (where the drivers are strongly interested... if not fanatical... in enhancing their gas mileage), and reading about issues such as safety, tire life, mileage, wet and dry handling, ride quality, etc. You'll find real data and subjective opinions. Then you need to decide what is best for you and your car, based on your particular preferences and concerns.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Droid13
Isn't the recommended pressure "recommended" because that is optimal for traction too? Are you increasing your emergency and wet road braking distance by pushing your tires to the higher limits of pressure?
Not necessarily. There are a number of trade-offs. Higher pressure, better mileage but rougher ride. Lower pressure the opposite. Toyota's are known for being quiet vehicles. It would not surprise me that their tire recommondation is based on providing a smoother ride. It's very possible that raising the pressure several psi will not affect handling.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:56 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by Orcrone
Not necessarily. There are a number of trade-offs. Higher pressure, better mileage but rougher ride. Lower pressure the opposite. Toyota's are known for being quiet vehicles. It would not surprise me that their tire recommondation is based on providing a smoother ride. It's very possible that raising the pressure several psi will not affect handling.
Here is a good article on tire pressure from the TireRack, the biggest mail order tire seller.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=1

It shows the issues surrounding both under and over inflation. Below I quoted the overinflation section since this msg thread is looking at overinflation to get better mileage.
Disadvantages of Overinflation

An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when encountering potholes or debris in the road, as well as experience irregular tread wear. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities as well causing the vehicle to ride harsher and transmit more noise into its interior. However, higher inflation pressures reduce rolling resistance slightly and typically provide a slight improvement in steering response and cornering stability. This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races run higher than normal inflation pressures.
P.S. the TireRack link above also has several other related links at that web page(upper right corner) that discusses various issues surrounding tire pressure and wet vs dry; outside temperature; high speed driving; etc.

Last edited by TKCamry; 06-19-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Still running mine at 46/44 PSI, and doing fine.
I've increased mine to 42/40 PSI and don't notice any difference in ride or road noise. I have 320 miles so far and measured the Bridgestone tires tread depth. All four are 9/32 on the outer groove and 10/32 on the inner grooves. I'll keep track of the tire wear and report how it changes.

I'm curious what your tread depth is Steven and how your tires wear at 46/44 PSI.

Quick Reply: TCH tire pressure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands