Old 03-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH and speeding ticket - help please

Potato, check your private mesages for this forum, thanks

Old 03-23-2007, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimonio

It's just too bad you didn't get pinched by one of those revenue-generation machines they call photo radar...I could tell you exactly what to do to get out of one of those.
Is no one else dying to know the answer to this one?

BTW, Good luck fighting the ticket! I think you have a better chance than many realize.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Is it possible that he clocked you before you got to the stop sign? It just seems odd and unlikely (to me anyway) that he was sitting there at the intersection watching for speeders. Just doesn't seem like the optimum place to fill a quota. And, if you're going to take this to court, you better know where he nailed you. Because if you start to state your case for AFTER the stop sign, and the cop tells you that he got you BEFORE the stop sign, it'll be the deer in the headlights look and you're nailed and probably would have been better off pleading guilty.

Here in Maryland they use laser, just had a hearing 2 weeks ago, everyone who pleaded guilty got 90 days Probation before judgement and NO points. Worked for me, took the deal, paid my fine and went on. Those who pleaded not guilty, all the Judge had to hear was the officer was certified to use the laser and the laser itself was certified then whatever story you could come up with just sounded like an excuse...and to be honest, most really were just excuses.

So, listen to the cases before yours, get a feel for the judge (Pray your case isn't first). Listen to your Officer's case and make sure that he did in fact get you after the stop sign and not before. Good luck to ya.

Sorry, don't mean to be the devil's advocate here. Just something doesn't sound right to me. Just make sure you have an understanding of where he said you were speeding.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast

Good luck in fighting the ticket. Last time I was ticketed in LA, it was for not wearing a seat belt. I was in my son's driveway, and had just removed the belt to get out of the car. It was late at night, and the officer had been following me as I am a person of color, and was in a "good" neighborhood.
After going thru the sobriety test and passing, and after refusing to let him "look thru" the car as is my right, he wrote up the no seat belt ticket.
It was not "one day" in court.. turned out to be one day in court to get a court date, one day in court to learn the officer was busy and had asked for a continuance...I paid the fine as I could no longer afford to fight the ticket...
I try to stay out of LA...

Old 03-24-2007, 04:27 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by MisterT
... and after refusing to let him "look thru" the car as is my right, he wrote up the no seat belt ticket...
Oh yea, That's a good thing to do. If you really want to have the officer start nit-picking that is. I remember once I was a passenger and the driver got pulled over. When the officer asked ME for some ID I knew I didn't have to produce a driver's license so I gave him (of all things) a Firearms Owner Identification Card. BIG MISTAKE. What should have been a 10 minute traffic stop turned into a 1 hour ordeal. Bottom line. Principle or not, don't intentionally **** off cops. If you do then don't complain.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Enthusiast

oh well, for what its worth, i am fighting the frigging thing. I need everyone to know that, if i succeed, Potato (Mr. Potato for most people) will get most of the credit due.
His (hers???) help is invaluable. For now, wish me luck. comes May, i am going to court.
What makes it easier, is the fact (yes, FACT) that the doughnut eating member of our society that used his radar gun not quite correctly was wrong. For now, I am stiil happy, because I get 42 mph, drive a great car and well, the list goes on. Thanks, Potato!

Old 03-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris_h
I got a bogus ticket about 6 years ago. The cop claimed I made an illegal left hand turn over a double-solid yellow line (which was actually not solid).
It is NOT illegal to make a left turn over a double solid yellow line, just to pass another car. It IS illegal to turn left over 2 sets of double solid yellow lines, as that represents an "island".

Old 03-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Oh yea, That's a good thing to do. If you really want to have the officer start nit-picking that is. I remember once I was a passenger and the driver got pulled over. When the officer asked ME for some ID I knew I didn't have to produce a driver's license so I gave him (of all things) a Firearms Owner Identification Card. BIG MISTAKE. What should have been a 10 minute traffic stop turned into a 1 hour ordeal. Bottom line. Principle or not, don't intentionally **** off cops. If you do then don't complain.
I do not believe that we should give up our Constitutional rights just to avoid annoying a police officer. I think it is absolutely despicable that Mr.T was treated in such a manner, and even worse that the court process is so arduous that it forces innocent people to give in, plead guilty and pay-up. This system does nothing for justice, it just further supports the notion that justice is only for the privileged and/or wealthy.

Would you believe there is an ongoing case in CT where a man in a suit (African American) was standing out on the sidewalk in front of his brother's house after church and a police officer (white female) asked him to present ID. He knew that the officer had no legal right to demand that he present his ID, so he declined. He wasn't doing anything wrong at the time, just waiting for his brother. When he did not show his ID he was arrested and is now locked up in a state mental facility because his protestations against the violation of his Constitutional rights and his "paranoia" over how he was being treated garnered him the dubious distinction of being mentally unstable. In certain instances in CT a person who has not been found guilty of a crime can be civilly committed by the court and locked up without consent and this is exactly what happened to this poor gentleman.
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you, as they say...

Old 03-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by Lilarienne
... and even worse that the court process is so arduous that it forces innocent people to give in, plead guilty and pay-up. This system does nothing for justice, it just further supports the notion that justice is only for the privileged and/or wealthy.

This is exactly what I have been saying. Our legal system does not work on facts, but perception of facts. Unfortunatly, any REALLY good attorney can make a Judge or Jury percieve the facts the way they want them to.

Right or Wrong does not matter in our legal system!!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

The Camry, like many cars has an onboard data recorder (info in the owner's guide). It records speed, braking and a bunch of other stuff. The dealer can extract it. Maybe not to late for this in your case. I use a device that stays plugged into the OBDII port by the driver's right knee. It is called a "carchip" (found it online). The device records days of info, it is as small as a box of matches and you can download the info and print out a myriad of charts from your computer via usb link. After getting my car back from the dealer for front end alignment I found 10 starts and stops and 2 trips of excessive speed. I showed the service manager the printouts so they now know...someone is watching.

Quick Reply: TCH and speeding ticket - help please

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands