TCH for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: TCH for sale

Scooters, it's definitely been fun and a great experience on here. I was either the #1 or #2 poster on the TCH forum, so it's a little sad to go. I've had a good amount of interest in my TCH for sale at the advertised price, so I doubt it'll be hard to sell. More later... stay tuned...

Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.
Default Re: TCH for sale

Steve, you'll just have to start posting at http://www.scionlife.com/forums/ and get pads for the xB cubbies at http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...r=asc&&start=0

Old 08-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

Are you aware the reselling your TCH may result in the recapture of the Tax credit? I couldn't find any definitive statements in the IRS about the conditions in which they would recapture the Tax credit, but it looks like they are working on it.

Just something to keep in mind before you finalize your sale..

Old 08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
... I couldn't find any definitive statements in the IRS about the conditions in which they would recapture the Tax credit...
Pure FUD. Steve put the TCH into service in the timeframe specified and met all the rules, he took the credit and was fully entitled to it. Just because he sells the car does not take the car out of service. Your theory would require the IRS to change the rules retroactively. Not likely. More like impossible.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I guess I'm a little confused about why you would leave this forum? Just because you will no longer own a TCH doesn't mean you can't contribute...

Old 08-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Pure FUD. Steve put the TCH into service in the timeframe specified and met all the rules, he took the credit and was fully entitled to it. Just because he sells the car does not take the car out of service. Your theory would require the IRS to change the rules retroactively. Not likely. More like impossible.
It isn't my theory btw. It's mentioned all over the tax incentives. I agree that reselling the car doesn't put it out of service so it shouldn't matter. I guess the IRS just wants to make sure your intention of purchasing the vehicle was for it's Hybrid-ness and not purely for the tax credit.

http://www.hybridcars.com/federal-incentives.html
The new law for the hybrid tax credit might require taxpayers to recapture their hybrid tax credit if they re-sell their hybrid car or truck.
http://taxes.about.com/od/deductions...axcredit_2.htm
Recapture: Penalty for Selling Your Hybrid Car Early The new law for the hybrid tax credit requires taxpayers to recapture their hybrid tax credit if they re-sell their hybrid car or truck. Further details will be provided by the IRS when they issue regulations to interpret and implement this new tax law. For now, I would advise against selling, leasing, or giving hybrid cars away until we find out how long you have to keep the car.
They talk about the "New Law" whereas the IRS points out that
These rules include: (1)rules under which lessors may claim the credits allowable under §30B; (2)the rule preventing the credits from being used to reduce alternative minimum tax liability; and (3) rules relating to recapture of the credit. The Service and Treasury Department expect to issue separate guidance relating to these rules
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-irbs/irb06-06.pdf

I just wanted to arm Steve with this knowledge cuz it would suck to have to find out later on that the IRS wants its tax credit back.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:32 PM

I didn't get a dime from the tax credit, but appreciate the good thoughts anyway! And, Vince, you're right of course. I can always drop in anytime. Jay, thanks for the link... I am loving the Xb... too bad it's not a hybrid tho'.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:50 PM

Well, I sold my TCH today to a friend of my neighbor. His last car was a 1977 model that he bought new, and he couldn't imagine all the advances that have occurred in the past 30 years. Showing him the TCH's capabilities was quite an interesting process, and I'm glad it went to someone so nice who will marvel at it. Hopefully it will last him quite a long time, and he'll love it as much as I did. Don't bother asking me the price... that's just tacky! Hahaha.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 08-12-2007 at 10:31 AM.