TCH boring?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH boring?!

I used to own manual Subarus in the days before cell phones became common and put up with the half clutch driving from NJ to NY each day over the George Washington Bridge, just to feel that I am in total control of the beast. But once I had the pager and cellphones and had to answer the pages within a couple of minutes in the daytime (and before hands free became available) I got an automatic 4cycliner Accord. At first I was lost without the manual and my left foot went to depress a clutch that was not there. Slowly I started enjoying the car, the freedom to use my right hand without being on the shifter ****. And the car accelerates quite well and has a good FE. Now I would not go back to a stick shift (and the lack of spouse knowing how to drive a stick seals the fate).

If you feel you need a stick and enjoy it without needing to be half clutching half the time and the poor FE does not bother you, I say, go for it. In another 5-7 years you will be ready for the TCH.

Last edited by greenvillehybrid; 10-19-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I came from an Acura TL which is no sports car, but it is alot sportier than the TCH. Do I miss the TL? NOPE, I do miss Xeons though. I am 30 btw.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Is the TCH a "boring" car? Yes, it is 100% boring. If you wanted to drive an "exciting" car, you made the wrong choice in buying a TCH, and instead you should have bought a Camry SE with a manual tranny. My TCH is so much more "boring" than my Paseo convertible (which was pure fun) or my CaddySTS (which was a great blend of power and luxury), but as someone else mentioned, you have to appreciate the TCH for what it is. I am happy to have this boring car which is getting me 36mpg and saving me $2k annually in gas and getting the Toyota build quality. i.e. my 99STS was starting to cost me about $2k in annual maintenance as it started to fall apart, and I hope I don't have those type of maintenance costs with the TCH after just 6 years.

Last edited by flopshot; 10-19-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

My view?

It's a CAMRY. They are not designed to be exciting, just a reliable safe family sedan. Hybrid or not, doesn't really matter. Personally, I purchased it because I drive 100 miles per day and wanted something a little more substantial than a Prius or Fit but still with good mileage. I had no illusions I was buying a performance car.

Between XM Radio, the IPOD and 6 CDs though I can keep myself amused.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Luis,

It sounds like you have already concluded that the TCH is boring, and started this thread for one of two reasons: (1) to have us talk you out of that thought or (2) to help you make the decision to sell it (with the attendant hit from depreciation).

Not to he nasty, but what difference should it make to you what WE think of the TCH? I can't see you making the decision based on counting our votes on whether WE think the TCH is "boring". What do we know that you don't?

Each of us probably bought the car based on a number of factors, some of which conflicted with others. What were the factors that you used to make the decision? Re-examine those and ask yourself two questions. First, is the car fulfilling the factors I used to make the decision in the way I thought it would? Second, is there now another important factor in my thinking that wasn't part of the decision to buy? If the answer to to the first is "no" or the second "yes", you don't have the car that is fulfilling your expectations. Then ask yourself, can I afford to fulfill my unfulfilled expectations? Can you afford the hit from the resale, and the cost of the new car that you think will "do it" for you? If you can't right now, it would be better to focus on what the TCH does well for you, and bide your time until you can afford it. If you can afford to change, what are you waiting for?

"Never worry about your problems. If you can do something about your problems, do it. If you can't, worry will not solve them."

The Dalai Lama

Well, I see our time is up. Please see my assistant to schedule your next session...

Last edited by wcmack; 10-19-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast

I thought I'd pipe in since I've owned by HAH automatic for less than two weeks. While buying, I was deciding between two cars: the HAH and the TCH.

Even now, I keep having second thoughts and if I made the right decision or not. ("Aw, man, the TCH has a smart key! and bluetooth! And the leather package would have forced Navi on me! And don't forget about the full EV mode!")

Both cars are midsized family sedans. The operative word is family. I'm 30 and selling my Mazda Miata (modified with turbo). Of course, it's a 5 speed manual that's wicked fast. But it can't carry my wife and any future family members we'll have.

But did I ever think either the TCH or the HAH were boring? Not at all. I thought automatics and CVTs were boring. But I really wanted a hybrid. (I still couldn't tell you why -- clearly it wasn't to get 60mpg or carpool stickers; I have neither.) And that meant either getting a used Insight or HCH I manual or living with an automatic (or CVT -- curiously, the HAH is the only non-CVT hybrid, too).

I find that I arrive at work more relaxed because of a nice, comfortable, spacious drive now. I busy myself with watching the MPG (maximizing, and then seeing just how far it drops with a nice full 253hp sprint -- not as much as I would hav expected) and finding the right XM stations as well as having a spare hand to find a handsfree kit, adjust my seat for comfort, and many other things.

But did I want that even a year ago? Not really.. and definitely not two years ago.

So, if you give it a year or two (depending on how close you are to a family, etc.) you might find the comfort ultimately outweighs the active driving. Besides, I always get back to how much do I _really_ get to enjoy the sport part of my sports car? 1% of the time? Maybe? Even going on a road trip so much of the time is spent just cruising on a freeway -- even if it is a scenic byway or something.

Anyway, just my two cents on boring midsized family sedans... hopefully I didn't bore anyone to the point of boring a hole in their skull...

Old 10-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

You have to consider the mission of the vehicle. I chose TCH because of the stability control and greater mass that leads to better crash survivability than the Honda Civic Hybrid or Prius. With just a bit of care I average 40 MPG.

For fun I have a Benz SLK280 that just insists on being driven hard. For snow and hauling a BMW X5. Each machine has its own mission.

Sorry you don't like your TCH. For running errands and just going down the road, I like it more than the German metal. I especially love the little things, like Bluetooth standard, Homelink standard. The Germans bundle those items with frankly too expensive option packages.

You ought to sell it while gas prices are relatively high. When they tip under $2 you are going to take a bath, I fear.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

You should have bought an Accord Hybrid .....

Old 10-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think if you think the TCH is boring you probably are not going to think the HAH is all that exciting either.

If you want a super exciting hybrid you should wait until this: http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/cs.html

or this:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

become available.

Personally, I don't think my TCH is a boring car at all. She is big and she is heavy, but she's also quite agile, smooth riding and quiet. FWIW I am 33, my husband is 30, and we have a two year old son.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

In 1800, Alessandro Volta arranged zinc and copper discs in a column and invented the battery. 204 years later, Toyota has electrified automotive history with the first high-performance hybrid, named in his honor. The Giugiaro-designed carbon-fiber body seats three people abreast and features "drive-by-wire" controls, allowing you to position the steering wheel and pedals in front of any one of them. And the Volta's 408-hp Hybrid Synergy DriveŽ (a 3.3-liter V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank, but 0-60 acceleration in a mere four seconds. Somewhere, Count Volta is smiling.
And I sure will smile when I get that car ( if I can afford it)

Quick Reply: TCH boring?!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands