Is the TCH the best powertrain of them all?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Is the TCH the best powertrain of them all?

My mom has a 03 Camry SE V6. Great car but the transmission sometimes shifts weird going from 2nd to 3rd. It is kind of like a delayed shift. I was talking to her about trading it and getting a new one. I was looking tonight at the V6 and 4 banger Camrys online and noticed that the 6 speed transmissions in the V6 Camrys are having issues with 2nd and 6th gears. I also noticed people complaining that the 5 speed transmissions in the 4 bangers were downshifting too much. I also noticed people complaining about the interior fit and finish. My fit and finish is great so far. I don't have the center console squeak nor any others. I will wait and see if everything improves before telling her to trade.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is the TCH the best powertrain of them all?

I can't speak for fit and finish items, but I'm sure the fit and finish of the Hybrid is on Par with XLE and vice versa. The LE base model will have wheel covers, etc. which although less appealing to the eye, don't really fall into "fit and finish" like the seams of the seat covers, the flush closing of a door, etc.

As for the powertrain, remember... the Camry Hybrid has a CVT...really a techgeek's dream. I didn't know much about them until I googled and educated myself to some extent. Unlike the transmission in EITHER of the other types of Camry's currently available, the Hybrid Cam has NO TRUE GEARS, hence the reason you never feel it shift. The CVT is similar to a snowmobile in that the diameter of the 'gear' infinitely changes to keep the engine in its powerband most efficiently.

The Nissan Maxima SE V6 also has just come out with a CVT, and they are doing a big ad campaign regarding the lack of 'shift shock' with a CVT. If you've seen the commercial, a woman is putting on her lipstick and waits for the vehicle to shift gears so she doesn't smear it on her face...the car continues on, until finally the guy driving makes a verbal shifting noise, allowing her to complete her application.

For smoothness of acceleration with no loss of power during a conventional automatic transmission 'shift', I don't think a CVT can really be beat.

Read here to learn about how a CVT operates:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

Old 08-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am very aware of all of this. I am just stating that we might be the lucky ones. I am also thinking it may have something to do with the fact that our cars right now are made in Japan and most others are made here in America.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Eskimonio
... Unlike the transmission in EITHER of the other types of Camry's currently available, the Hybrid Cam has NO TRUE GEARS, hence the reason you never feel it shift. The CVT is similar to a snowmobile in that the diameter of the 'gear' infinitely changes to keep the engine in its powerband most efficiently....
Ouch. I think howstuffworks doesn't describe Toyota's CVT properly based on your description.
Here is a much better explanation IMO:
http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-psd.htm
There are (planetary) gears and nothing changes diameter.
It's a trade between ICE RPMs and MG2 RPMs with each offsetting the other.
The pictures in the link above are worth thousands of words.
J

Old 08-30-2006, 06:41 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Another link that explains how Toyota's HSD is different than a standard CVT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_...y_of_operation

Old 08-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you have some time, Toyota has a great PDF describing the THS II with reduction gear that the TCH uses. It goes into the design goals and great detail on how the THS II (HSD) system works.

I forgot where I found this - another PDF describing the Toyota Hybrid System II as used by the TCH

Last edited by nash; 08-30-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Right, there is NO similarity between a 'cone and belt' CVT and the Toyota planetary gear transmission, other than the fact that neither of them have stepped gearing.

And yes, the HSD system IS the best .
  • Nearly seemless power from 2 sources (ICE and electric) each automatically used as needed.
  • The gears are always meshed, no stripping possible.
  • There is no cone and belt slippage. Honda pulled their CVT Accord (unrelated to the hybrid, and before there WAS a HAH) due to problems with this. The CVT HCH doesn't seem to have issues. Maybe related to HP and torque, I have no idea.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
If you have some time, Toyota has a great PDF describing the THS II with reduction gear that the TCH uses. It goes into the design goals and great detail on how the THS II (HSD) system works.

I forgot where I found this - another PDF describing the Toyota Hybrid System II as used by the TCH
There's another site:

http://www.hybridsynergydrive.com/en/top.html

It's a bit obscure but you can get a great pdf document by following these steps:

- Chose View PDF
- Click Add All
- Click View PDF document

Will Mayall