Steering recall - did I get scammed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Recent Hybrid convert
Default Steering recall - did I get scammed?

Like others have already reported, a Steering Link Replacement recall is going on for some older models, including mine:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...rmation-20968/
and
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...all-tsb-20818/

I got mine done yesterday, and obviously it was free (and yes, it did take 5-6 hours to complete)... Trouble is, I got a call about midway through the process asking me if I wanted to take care of getting a 4-wheel alignment as well, since it was "off"... The guy did mention that part of recall included a new alignment, but just the "toes" and not the "cambers" which -- in my case -- was off as well.

Some of you reported that your car felt better aligned afterwards. So the big question for me is: did I just get scammed for a $79.95 alignment which I didn't need? Is it possible that the "free" re-alignment did not cover everything, i.e. more alignment would be required which was NOT covered under the recall efforts?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Steering recall - did I get scammed?

If you got a call midway through the install (2 1/2 or 3 hours left), you got hosed. The alignment is the LAST thing they do, takes less than an hour, and the ONLY way the guy could have known the caster and camber were "off" would be while looking at the readouts on the alignment machine.

Yes, the steering link only affects the toe in but with the car on the alignment machine, it only takes a few more minutes to adjust the caster and camber. Even with a 4 wheel alignment you are talking less than an hour. This dealer is risking a valuble customer in these economic times by trying to steal a few extra dollars on a "free" recall.

If they were smart, they would would have let you know while picking the car up that the recall only covered the toe in alignment but that they also checked and corrected the caster and camber free of charge. You would not have a problem with that and, more than likely, would have thanked the service manager and left a HAPPY customer.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Toyota was to replace your steering link and correct the alignment making it like new.

How nice that your dealer serviceman calls and catches you completely off guard, asking for to pay for a complete alignment. I would think you could contact the Toyota Customer Service and try to get your money back.

Thinking ahead, they may ask you if you want to file a service complaint against the dealership. It might be best to contact the dealer shop manager first and see if he will give you a refund.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had my recall done last week with the "alignment". I didn't know that it was to adjust the "toe" only. Since you do have a 2 year old TCH with ??? miles it probably was a good idea to get a complete alignment assuming that they actually did it.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
Toyota was to replace your steering link and correct the alignment making it like new.

How nice that your dealer serviceman calls and catches you completely off guard, asking for to pay for a complete alignment. I would think you could contact the Toyota Customer Service and try to get your money back.

Thinking ahead, they may ask you if you want to file a service complaint against the dealership. It might be best to contact the dealer shop manager first and see if he will give you a refund.
I second this approach.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 AM
Electricity Guzzler

I had to pipe in.

Yeah, you got hosed.- rather unprofessional to call you halfway through like that. Even them trying that game when you first brought the car in would've been pushing it.

You're car wasn't pulling one way or the other, your tires were wearing evenly I assume.

The only helped you negligibly increase your mileage by lightening your wallet.