Steering Problems - Binding and Clicks

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Camry Hybrid Owner
Default Re: Steering Problems - Binding and Clicks

Thanks to klynch and vioarc for the pics and the TSB#.
Only had to take my TCH in once with the supplied info
and the part has been ordered. Part will be installed
next Monday.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

I had noticed this problem, probably since I got my TCH in MAy 06 - even my wife commented on it. When I found the TSB (thanks to this forum!) I printed it out and gave to the dealer when I had my 10K service done a few weeks ago. There indeed was a problem and they ordered the necessary part(s) - took the car in this am and just received a call that it's ready to pick up. Hopefully the "problem" has been corrected.
Thanks,

Fred
TCH 07,Blue Ribbon Metallic

Old 06-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Camry Hybrid Owner
Thumbs up Re: Steering Problems - Binding and Clicks

Toyota replaced the shaft Monday and all steering issues (clicks-pops-binding) have vanished. Thanks again to the
forum posters who helped identify the fix for this problem.

Got a Avalon for a loaner. Nice car but only got 25MPG.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

After 6 years and 95K miles, my TCH developed this exact problem. Following the TSB, the dealer suggested replacing the shaft, but it's long out of warranty and rather expensive.

So, I suggested, and he agreed, to perform the lubrication as described in the TSB for the '06 Camry. So far, so good.

Last edited by freefiber; 11-05-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Professor Emeritus

FYI to all of the above who have replaced or greased this shaft....

I took my car into Toyota of Melbourne a few weeks ago to have this particular "clunk" diagnosed. They stated that it was a problem with the steering rack. Specifically some bushings and that the entire thing needed to be replaced to the tune of just over $2,000.00. They also mentioned that the intermediate steering shaft may need to be replaced as well to the tune of just over $500.00. So, they were ready to charge me $2,500.00 to get rid of this particular problem.

After arriving home I took it upon myself to do some research on this problem. I found that the intermediate steering shaft clunk is a problem on all Camry's from about 2003 on. I also read about several TSB's out there that discuss removing the shaft and applying grease though a syringe and then re-installing to help alleviate the problem and avoid the expense of replacing the entire shaft assy. I also read that several people had success with just marking and removing the upper shaft (inside the car) and cycling it in and out to "re-distribute the grease inside the shaft". THIS IS WHAT I DID!! It took about 10 minutes and my car drives and sounds like new again.

I plan of pursuing Toyota of Melbourne on this issue. Also, I believe that the service they "say they did" that day, did not get done. I originally took the car in to have the Inverter Coolant changed and have the clunk diagnosed. I plan to take it to an independent shop and Lexus of Melbourne to have the test the inverter coolant that they said they replaced.

In the end... For those of you with this particular steering problem... I would try cycling the shaft first. It works, its free and only takes a few minutes of time.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Many cars including the '07 TCH have a long list of TSB's. Most are small and never sent out for a recall. The TSB on replacing the steering rack was popular. If it were me I would call the Toyota service dept. and let them look up the electric steering recall. Give them the VIN for you car and they can pull that up and see if it was ever replaced if you bought your car used. You mention clicking, that reminds me of a bad CV joint. You can only hear that type of clicking in a parking lot or when turning on a city street. I don't know about faster speeds.

If the dealer agrees to replace the rack you might ask if their Certified Hybrid Tech can do the work. The dealers usually have one well trained toyota tech that works on the hybrids. A larger dealer may have more than one that's hybrid Certified.

Good luck with the door wind noise. The door seal around the door may need replacing. A good tech at the dealer should be able to find and fix that problem.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by rburt07
Many cars including the '07 TCH have a long list of TSB's. Most are small and never sent out for a recall. The TSB on replacing the steering rack was popular. If it were me I would call the Toyota service dept. and let them look up the electric steering recall. Give them the VIN for you car and they can pull that up and see if it was ever replaced if you bought your car used. You mention clicking, that reminds me of a bad CV joint. You can only hear that type of clicking in a parking lot or when turning on a city street. I don't know about faster speeds.

If the dealer agrees to replace the rack you might ask if their Certified Hybrid Tech can do the work. The dealers usually have one well trained toyota tech that works on the hybrids. A larger dealer may have more than one that's hybrid Certified.

Good luck with the door wind noise. The door seal around the door may need replacing. A good tech at the dealer should be able to find and fix that problem.
It took me a minute to figure this out because you did not "quote" the post you were reading about. So, you are referring to post #3 on page 1 of this thread from 2007... I got it now.

I was responding to the new post and anyone else that reads this thread regarding "greasing the shaft".

Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by litespeed
It took me a minute to figure this out because you did not "quote" the post you were reading about. So, you are referring to post #3 on page 1 of this thread from 2007... I got it now.

I was responding to the new post and anyone else that reads this thread regarding "greasing the shaft".
I read all the post in this thread but looking back could not find the one about the wind noise from the door. You did find the message I wanted to respond too.

I'm glad you found another fix for the racket grease problem other than full replacement. I was not aware that could be done do fix the problem. That's big time cheaper than the rack replacement from toyota. Could be a aftermarket rack would cost less than half that for the rack itself. It makes me wonder if the steering shaft is actually that bad for a $500 repair. You did say it steers like just like new.

Your rack problem reminds me of the bad inner CV joints on my '94 Corolla causing a loud roar anytime I accelerated. The car had 150K on the clock at the time. I called toyota and they wanted $1200 to replace them with new ones. I checked the internet and found a place in Florida that used new CV's on old shafts and they include a new type smooth-fold boot filled with synthetic grease. The cost to my door was about $285 for the two axles ready to install. I did them myself and returned by bad ones. The new ones worked just fine and I sold the car at 185,000 miles.

That's one great thing about the internet and google. It helps those to save lots of money knowing in advance from others with the same problem, cheap way to fix things.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Professor Emeritus

LOL!! No biggie... I was freaking out trying to figure out how you knew I had a wind noise problem when it was not even in my post! I fixed my wind noise problem months ago but never mentioned it here. Then I realized that you probably read it earlier in the thread.

My wind noise problem was coming from behind the mirror trim piece. I put a piece of foam behind it... Problem solved.

And yes! The internet and local shops are awesome alternatives to any advice "any" dealer gives. Lots of info. out there. The dealers word is not always gold. Rarely I'm finding...

Old 11-06-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by litespeed
LOL!! No biggie... I was freaking out trying to figure out how you knew I had a wind noise problem when it was not even in my post! I fixed my wind noise problem months ago but never mentioned it here. Then I realized that you probably read it earlier in the thread.

My wind noise problem was coming from behind the mirror trim piece. I put a piece of foam behind it... Problem solved.

And yes! The internet and local shops are awesome alternatives to any advice "any" dealer gives. Lots of info. out there. The dealers word is not always gold. Rarely I'm finding...
Lots of dealer much rather replace rather they try to doctor the problem so they can make more money.

Talking about wind noise, I hated hearing wind noise usually in the front part of the doors when I was into thinking Chevrolet's was the way to go. I replaced some door seals that fixed the problem. Later I used a somewhat thin foam type tape with the sticky back behind the door seals that also worked well, similar to what you mentioned. I never could figure out how those GM door seals would leak after 60K miles. Maybe it was the hot Texas heat!

I got the wind noise subject mentioned by, r_beagle69 same as you pointed out earlier after he told about his steering clicking problem.