State Tax Credits

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: State Tax Credits

True, but it's also an easy way for pols to appear like they are eco-friendly.

Originally Posted by Orcrone
Since there are long waiting lists for hybrids no more would be sold if they offered tax credits. So the politicians probably figure they'd be taking money out of their coffers without providing any benefit.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think you're making one error in your reasoning: There is not a waiting list for all hybrids, at least not because demand exceeds supply. I suspect an Accord hybrid may be tough to come by only because they've gone unrequested for so long. YMMV.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Olde Farte

Originally Posted by Shiloh
I bought my HiHy in Baltimore but live in Colorado. I had to pay a minimal amount to MD for the temp tags to allow me to drive the vehicle back to CO but when I registered it in CO paid the sales tax etc. I also claimed the CO state tax credit on my vehicle and did not have any problems with that.
Did you have to do anything "special" when you registered it in Colorado? Did you receive a credit when you registered it - or simply a voucher of some sort that will be used when you file your 2006 income tax?

Old 07-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TCH2007
Did you have to do anything "special" when you registered it in Colorado? Did you receive a credit when you registered it - or simply a voucher of some sort that will be used when you file your 2006 income tax?
I had to have the title from the dealer, you have to have a VIN inspection done also. I actually had to go back and forth several times due to the dealer not filling the back of title out "properly" per the CO DMV folks. I had the actual title as I didn't finance it ... well, I did but used home equity line of credit so not shown as a lien on the vehicle.

No credit or voucher when registering it, I think we just annotated the appropriate lines in both State and Federal tax forms. (I purchased in 2005) My husband does our taxes and uses Turbo Tax so it prompted him for the required information. The Colorado credit is quite generous - current information can be found at http://www.revenue.state.co.us/fyi/html/income09.html I see that the Camry isn't listed yet, just keep checking it periodically and it will be updated when they get the required information from Toyota. It took a while to see what I'd get with the Highlander but it eventually showed up.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Olde Farte

Originally Posted by Shiloh
I had to have the title from the dealer, you have to have a VIN inspection done also. I actually had to go back and forth several times due to the dealer not filling the back of title out "properly" per the CO DMV folks. I had the actual title as I didn't finance it ... well, I did but used home equity line of credit so not shown as a lien on the vehicle.

No credit or voucher when registering it, I think we just annotated the appropriate lines in both State and Federal tax forms. (I purchased in 2005) My husband does our taxes and uses Turbo Tax so it prompted him for the required information. The Colorado credit is quite generous - current information can be found at http://www.revenue.state.co.us/fyi/html/income09.html I see that the Camry isn't listed yet, just keep checking it periodically and it will be updated when they get the required information from Toyota. It took a while to see what I'd get with the Highlander but it eventually showed up.
Thanks - I just came back from registering mine. As you say - nothing special at DMV - other than it is noted as a "Hybrid". I'm anxious to see what the Colorado tax credit is for the Camry.

Thanks again!

Old 07-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

To answer the original question (just incase it wasn't covered):

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=6061

Although, the rules for the 2006 tax year aren't set in stone yet.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

thanks bar10dah. I didn't realize Virginia had any credits.