Squeaking in the center console - mine is b-a-a-a-a-a-ck...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console - mine is b-a-a-a-a-a-ck...

Originally Posted by benny
That is correct. And it wasn't really a true problem, per se, but I had read that in the regular Camrys driving at city speeds the engine will often try to figure out which gear to go into. That said, I have a friend who bought a 4 cylinder Camry and isn't having any trouble with it.

Sorry about the confusion. --Benny
Yes when the Camry first came out the 6 cylinders had a snap ring problem and a flaring problem...I believe the flaring problem still exists. The four cylinder has some hesitation problems. When people would push on the gas the car wouldn't react immediately...

I think I have it right

Old 01-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnsig
Yes when the Camry first came out the 6 cylinders had a snap ring problem and a flaring problem...I believe the flaring problem still exists. The four cylinder has some hesitation problems. When people would push on the gas the car wouldn't react immediately...

I think I have it right
Serves them right for not getting a Hybrid. How dare they. Who do they think they are? insolence...

Thanks for clarifying - I was worried for a second. From what I understand, the CVT is a new(er) concept, yes? I don't know how prone to problems it may be.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by OmegaOmega
Serves them right for not getting a Hybrid. How dare they. Who do they think they are? insolence...

Thanks for clarifying - I was worried for a second. From what I understand, the CVT is a new(er) concept, yes? I don't know how prone to problems it may be.

CVT is new for the Camry but I think the technology has been around for a while (a few years maybe). I believe it has been used in the Nissan Maxima for a few years. It was put in the Murano last year or the year before. Nissan also just put it in the Altima this year (2007 model)

Old 01-30-2007, 09:16 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Most CVTs are of the "belt and cone" type, with friction between the belt and the variable-diameter "cone" pulleys being the mode of power transmission. These belts can slip and wear out eventually. The Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive's CVT uses an epicyclic planetary gear set (the "power split device") in conjunction with MG1 (motor-generator #1) to achieve an effectively infinitely variable gear ratio with no belts or friction drives at all. There's no comparable slip or wear mechanism here. Much more elegant!

Stan

Old 02-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, my squeak seems to be fixed. I had no trouble with the dealer and they apparently knew exactly what to do as it's gone. My wife said that they just put some foam in it--I assume it was the same fix that was posted before. So I agree with everybody in that you don't have to live with it.

I might have posted this before, but the dealer mentioned that there was a squeak in the gearshift that I hadn't noticed. They fixed that too.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:16 AM

Well, my squeak seems to be fixed. I had no trouble with the dealer and they apparently knew exactly what to do as it's gone. My wife said that they just put some foam in it--I assume it was the same fix that was posted before. So I agree with everybody in that you don't have to live with it.

I might have posted this before, but the dealer mentioned that there was a squeak in the gearshift that I hadn't noticed. They fixed that too.

Good to hear...let's hope I don't run into that problem once my TCH gets here

Old 02-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast

Never had the squeak so don't know what you talk about lol

Old 09-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Bringing up an old thread.

My squeak has now returned as well. I now have over 40,000 miles in just over two years (26 months). First fixed the squeak with the little round felt tabs at about 2,500 miles. In the last few days, it has returned with a vengence. Temps mid 90's. So this morning, I disassembled the area and applied silicone to the tabs that "snap" the grey cover in to the actual console. Squeak is now gone. We'll see how it goes.

If it stays away for the next 40,000 miles it will be great, as I doubt that I will still own this TCH when it has 80,000 miles on it.

Last edited by jbollt; 09-17-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:11 PM

Must be somethng wrong with the forum today, I see no new posts since early this morning?

Well, I guess everyone is just busy today, as this one showed up. hmmm

Last edited by jbollt; 09-18-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added 2nd line