solution for rattle/ticking sound from the driver/passenger doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast
Default solution for rattle/ticking sound from the driver/passenger doors

I have been having this issue since receiving my car last June. It is a come and go issue that the technician can never heard that during test drives until last month. They said something was loosen and they have fixed it. Well you guess right that the click sound comes back.
Yesterday when I was implementing some felt tape on the side window (See another threat regarding to the fix of wind noise https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=13596) ,I discovered that there is a hard plastic/rubber material, square shaped, place at the end top corner of the door. I have no idea whether it is a new piece of plastic the technician added in or it comes with the car, but I have a feeling that the ticking sound is coming from this little piece of plastic.
What I did is to put some felt pad between the door panel and the bottom of the plastic, and the ticking sound is gone. I am not sure whether I have cued this annoying sound but I have not heard them back for almost a week.
This piece of plastic can be found on all doors. They are located at the end top corner of both driver side and passenger (front) doors, and top front corner of both back passenger side doors. I have no idea why Toyota put this piece of plastic on.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh...hp?i=2471&c=40

Last edited by Ian; 05-17-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: solution for rattle/ticking sound from the driver/passenger doors

That piece of plastic is on all new Toyotas I have seen.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast
Arrow Re: solution for rattle/ticking sound from the driver/passenger doors

Hi Ian, I have been living with the same ticking problem since Sep. 2006. Glad to note that you have found a fix for it (potentially a permanent one). Looking at the way thie plastic is seated I find it hard to insert any padding under it...any tips in this regard would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: solution for rattle/ticking sound from the driver/passenger doors

Hi Roger.
i have no special technique for placing the pad except squeezing it in between gaps that i can notice..
Ian