Snow tires & wheels: do I really need the TP

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:54 PM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07
Default Snow tires & wheels: do I really need the TP

sensors? I really don't care if a warning light stays on all winter while these are in use.

After reading somewhere that the traction control won't let the car move under certain slippery conditions, I think I better get the snows.

My question is, will the car drive without the sensors, or is there some kind of computer lock-out that won't let it move?

The pricing on them is murder, and every car I've had up until the TCH has not had a TP inflation sensing system. I can live without it.

I really don't want to pay up for them on the snows, but I don't want to order the snows if this is some kind of no-no mechanically.

Comments welcomed.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Snow tires & wheels: do I really need the TP

You mean will the car drive without tire pressure sensors? Of course it will, I'm not even sure if the warning will stay on, in theory it will not pick up any signal so it shouldn't, or maybe there is some procedure to disable it.
I have factory Michelins and last winter I was driving in about 6-8 inches of soft snow, I had no problem. At some point the road got deserted and I started doing 50 MPH and the car was handling pretty well, I could feel the car was loosing traction and then it would correct itself and regain composure, it was building my confidence very quickly. I saw this guy trying to drive Nissan 350Z, his car was low, hung up on the snow and was sitting right in the middle of road, I guess calling for tow truck. Traction and stability control worked pretty well and the only time I would have a problem was when the snow was really deep, I could not spin the tires and dig into snow to get some traction from asphalt underneath or power through some "moguls" especially at intersections, but I never really got stuck.
BTW TP sensors are mandatory on all new passenger cars, just not sure if it was effective 2007 or 2008, so get used to them, but as I said, if you take them off, no problem.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:20 AM
Malcontent

I drove the whole winter with snow tires w/o the TPMs. The original wheels were stacked in a corner of the garage during that time and the warning light never came on.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast

Did anyone else try to run snows without the TPS and not have the dash light go on. Just came back from the dealer and the service dept. claims there is no way to disable the TPS, it will light up if I put snows on new rims without the sensors.Makes for a expensive winter tire change

Old 09-18-2007, 02:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blktoy
Did anyone else try to run snows without the TPS and not have the dash light go on. Just came back from the dealer and the service dept. claims there is no way to disable the TPS, it will light up if I put snows on new rims without the sensors.Makes for a expensive winter tire change
Put 4 X-Ice w/ steel wheels w/o sensors. Light will come on and stay on. It's annoying but you get used to it.

P.S. Put 4 blizzak WS-50's on my 335i(sport package) and I didn't get stuck in any of the 06/07 storms. Changed out early to the summers and the car got stuck on barely 2" of snow, level road.

Safe Driving.