Sight lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Sight lines

I love my TCH, but there are a few things that bug me about the sight lines.
I've been driving a 96 Avalon so that is my point of reference.
I am a big guy (6'3") but have a tough time seeing the back of the trunk (when backing up). I have to guess where the car ends (as opposed to seeing the tip of the trunk). Not crazy about that and not looking forward to a bumper tap.
The other issue is the passenger side view obstruction. I guess it's due to the slope of the roof, but the supports seem to take up a larger portion of the viewing space than in my other car. I think the passenger head rest is larger or higher up since it seems to get in the way (slightly).
None of these are impossible to deal with, but I don't seem to be able to see as much in this car as my other one.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Sight lines

Do you have the navigation system? If so, you can add a backup camera easily. The installation only takes a couple hours, and the hardware cost is only about $125. There is a thread here somewhere that covers where to get the hardware and how to do the installation, with pictures.

I also could not see out the back as well as I would like. Two of my neighbors have small kids who often play in the front yards, or even in the street. I don't want to have to tell one of those mothers that I ran over her kid. So $125 seems well worth it.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:19 AM

Logical, but I don't have the NAV and since I don't like my neighbors kids, ... (that was a joke)

Old 03-15-2008, 06:41 AM

I agree. I hate backing up this car.

I don't like how I cannot:

1. See the nose of the car.
2. See the end of the trunk.
3. See the sides of the car (particularly the rear fenders -- I've already rubbed a wall).
4. See the ground when backing up so am forced to manually lower the side view mirrors.

I would be terribly frightened to parallel park....

I was spoiled by a truck I guess....

Old 03-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

When I ordered my TCH (back in June '06), I asked if there was a back-up camera or sensors were available. I was told that although it wouldn't be a Toyota product, they would include it in the sales order. Well, that fell through since the "Camera Company" -- name escapes me right now -- had never installed it on a Toyota with the increased resolution NAV monitor.

Since then, I have had the ParkPilot back-up system installed (with a total of 4-sensors). It was installed by a Toyota dealer in Florida. Only problem is that it seems the sensors were mounted a tad bit too low on the bumper (thus angled down) and sometimes alert on the ground. Overall, I'm pleased w/ the ParkPilot system and would recommend it.

Personally, I prefer the ParkPilot type alert over the camera since I'm "old-school" and like to look back and right/left rear watching for cars, shopping carts, etc. approaching from the side which you wouldn't see if you were looking at a camera.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Unfortunately the "sight lines" is an epidemic among almost ALL cars anymore.

Styling and marketing departments have been pushing the "beltline" (lower edge of windows) up for the last 10 years.

Look around for a 15 year old car. Compare it to a modern car. Old cars had windows almost as tall as the door below. Now it is closer to 1/3 window - 2/3 metal.

The marketing people found that people feel "safer" with less window.

Trunks are also proportionally taller than they used to be. I believe that is it again styling and the desire for more trunk space. Again compare to a 15 year old car.

Personally I love the view and the "open" feeling. So I love glass. My favorite car for that were the 1990-1993 Honda Accords. Very low hood and a very low beltline. It made you feel like you were skimming the road. Just like a go cart.

Modern cars are like living in a castle with slits for windows!