Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Satellite Radio

Has anyone had the dealer install the satellite kit? Is it that much better than the FM modulator?

I just got my TCH and had Sirius in my old car. I took the antenna and receiver out of the old car and installed it in the TCH. (Being very, very careful about the paint on the TCH). It works fine, however, I noticed that due to the powerful antenna on the TCH I had trouble finding a clear radio station. I also noticed that I need to turn up the volume when I'm on satellite, compared to normal radio stations.

My dealer will charge me $400 to install the adapter for Sirius on my TCH and I was wondering if anyone thought it was worth it.

PS - I LOVE the gas mileage

Old 11-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Satellite Radio

After hearing about all the issues about static related and as well as the delay of the Camry Fit Kit for Sirius. I gave up and decided to just use a Starmate Replay in the car. I found the 'best sound' is not thru the FM Modulator but thru the Aux in-put jack located under the radio.

I will warn you the reason I say this is the 'best sound' is there is a grounding issue so I get a slight buzz sound when I have my Starmate plugged into the power outlet. Cruchfield.com sells a grounding kit that is said to help eliminate the buzz but I have yet to try it out.

I hope this helps.

Hector

Old 11-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I got the Toyota Sirius kit that integrates in the radio. It is not bad, but there were 2 problems, one was a major static issue that there is now a fix for, a jumper. The other is the crappy windshield antennea which has no fix other than to by an OEM antenne and mount it on the roof, which I did. The Toyota antenna was casuing drop outs all the time, other than over passes I have not had one since installing the OEM roof ant.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Why don't you just plug your receiver directly into the Aux jack? That's what I did - bypassing the FM issues. I'm loving it!

"I will warn you the reason I say this is the 'best sound' is there is a grounding issue so I get a slight buzz sound when I have my Starmate plugged into the power outlet." I'm not noticing any buzzes, and I'm using the Starmate, too. Hmmmmm. Maybe it's the adaptor you're using. We're using one made for the Starmate.

Last edited by elsifer; 11-28-2006 at 06:27 PM. Reason: to add something more
Old 11-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kluken
I got the Toyota Sirius kit that integrates in the radio. It is not bad, but there were 2 problems, one was a major static issue that there is now a fix for, a jumper. The other is the crappy windshield antennea which has no fix other than to by an OEM antenne and mount it on the roof, which I did. The Toyota antenna was casuing drop outs all the time, other than over passes I have not had one since installing the OEM roof ant.
Kluken... I have a Toyota XM kit with horrendous dropout problems from the (crappy) windshield antenna and I'd like to add a roof antenna, but haven't done anything like that before and don't know how to do it without jeopardizing the back window integrity, seals, etc. Is there a link to someplace on the web where your installation technique is described or can you please post a detailed description of how you did it?

Thanks much...

Old 11-29-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by elsifer
Why don't you just plug your receiver directly into the Aux jack? That's what I did - bypassing the FM issues. I'm loving it!

"I will warn you the reason I say this is the 'best sound' is there is a grounding issue so I get a slight buzz sound when I have my Starmate plugged into the power outlet." I'm not noticing any buzzes, and I'm using the Starmate, too. Hmmmmm. Maybe it's the adaptor you're using. We're using one made for the Starmate.

Read his post again. He Does use the aux jack.

The buzzing sound comes from using the power outlet, I know because mine does it. (I also have Sirius running through the aux jack.)

I have factory installed XM and the antenna is in the back deck, near the rear speaker. It is fine. My mom also has the same location and hers is fine.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gary Yost
Is there a link to someplace on the web where your installation technique is described or can you please post a detailed description of how you did it?
I'm not Kluken, but my husband did it on my car. He put the antenna (magnetic mount) on the roof above the front side passenger door side of the windshield, and ran the wire down the rain channel to the bottom of the windshield. He threaded it through the body to just above the hinge where the door and car meet, and somehow threaded it inside the car and behind the dashboard from there. I believe he said something about getting to it from the glove box, but I'm not exactly sure how he did it.

I guess there's some kind of punch-out on side of the center dashboard post on the passenger side - he punched that out to get to the antenna cable from inside the bottom door (the one with the aux jack) and threaded it though there, somehow. He then replaced the punch-out.

My Sirius receiver plugs in to everything (antenna, aux, power) behind that door at the bottom of the center dashboard. My reception is great.

I know I'm not the most helpful person in the world, but if I can get my husband to elaborate a little more, I'm sure his description will be much better.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Yost
Kluken... I have a Toyota XM kit with horrendous dropout problems from the (crappy) windshield antenna and I'd like to add a roof antenna, but haven't done anything like that before and don't know how to do it without jeopardizing the back window integrity, seals, etc. Is there a link to someplace on the web where your installation technique is described or can you please post a detailed description of how you did it?

Thanks much...
Actually doing the roof mount was fairly easy. I was reluctant to do it, bit figured I woudl try. I am sure XM is like Sirius, they kit comes with the puck antennea, an extendion cover to cover the first 6 inches of wire so the puck can be placed up the roof a bit then the wire for mine was 21 feet, and beleive me I needed every inch. The tricky part is getting the wire under the rear window rubber gasket. you will need probably a small flat baded screwdriver and then wither another small screwdriver or I used a stiff pair of forcepts. You essentially use the blade to wedge under the gasket aheads of the wire to pry up the gasket and I used the forceps trailing behind the screwdriver and wire to push the wire under the gasket. Patience and slowness make it easier as the gasket is thin and the width is small so it is easy to accidently jam the gasket below the wire. I brought it down the right side of the rear window and then brough t it in the trunk about 4-6 inches down the right side of the truck. I tucked the wire behind the cardboard/fabric liner on the right side of the trucnk and through the fold down seat near the floow of the truck. You can reach underneather the rigt side of the rear seat to grab the wire as you push it down the back half of the folded seat. I then tucked it up in the plastic door sill molding along the floor all the way to the front corner uner the dash and then tucked it behind the top edge of the carpet that gous up under the dash in the passenger area. The tuner is under the pocket in the center console. You have to remove the center console then the 2 screws that hold that deep covered pocket under the climate system and remove the pocket. I had to engage the car and shift t out of PARK to get thepocket out, You should see the tuner laying there or taped to the ducting. The Sirius tuner used a standard jack that was compatably with the antenna I bought. I got the Sirous antenna at Best Buy for $36. The instructions with the antenna were very simplistic and vague.