Safety and Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Recent Hybrid convert
Default Re: Safety and Insurance

Originally Posted by FL07THC
I had the safer thing going on when I first got my TCH, now six months later I just drive it like a normal car.
I noticed your mileage DB entries stopped around Oct... Have you seen a significant drop in FE since you've stopped playing the 'safer'/'smoother'/'gotta watch those gauges at all times' game since after the first 6 months? Just curious, as the novelty of trying to optimize at ALL times is also wearing off with me... although I'm still a fan of hybrids (and my TCH, of course), don't get me wrong!!!

Last edited by HybridFan; 02-17-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Safety and Insurance

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
The challenge of playing the car's FE game really is much more fun and entertaining, if not more exciting than pushing a sports car hard through the curves. Go figure. I'm coming from a Lexus GS, and my brother just traded his BMW 540iL for a TCH, and we both feel this way! I am embarrassed to admit this to non-hybrid owners, but know the hybrid owners really do get it.

-- Alan
Originally Posted by ag4ever
Man I get you!

I love sports cars, but the TCH has kept me entertained (and sometimes frustrated with high FE that I think is just too low) much longer and for more of the drive than any sports car ever has. In a sports car, you get to have fun once in a while, but the TCH is a challange for the entire time you drive it.

I also noticed that I have not changed my driving habits in other vehilces. I drove my truck today, and was once again rushing to the stop lights, speeding, and trying to keep up with other traffic or go faster than them. But when I am in the TCH, I am one of the calm drivers. It really is the car, and now I know why the insurance is so much cheaper for the TCH than other cars in it's class.
I completely agree with both of you. I had to take my daughter to gymnastics tonight. I got out of my TCH at 5:45 pm, and in my Honda Odyssey at 5:47. I drove that Odyssey like a bat out of hell, and realized while I was driving, that I wouldn't drive like this in the TCH!

I'm still learning the FE game, and how to drive the hybrid (P&G, figuring out the pedal pressures, etc.) and as I get more used to it, my mileage is climbing.

I've also noticed that after only 3 weeks, I'm used to feeling for the ICE kicking in. When I drive the Odyssey, I find myself squealing the tires more often, because I'm trying to anticipate the ICE.