Safety and Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Safety and Insurance

One of the nice unexpected benefits of owning a TCH is that I think it makes you a better (safer) driver.

I also drive company cars that are not hybrids, and I find that I tend to be more of a jack rabbit driver with a traditional non-hybrid car.

With the TCH, I am always trying to drive smoothly, anticipating traffic conditions and the traffic lights ahead. I don't hold traffic back, but I do drive smarter. If I see the light way down the road is red or will be red, I approach it accordingly. Drivers all the time pass me only to be stopped at the light as I approach it. The only potential downside is if you try playing with the NAV controls while driving.

I suspect that hybrid drivers get in fewer at fault accidents, and are more defensive drivers and avoid accidents that would otherwise be somebody else's fault. This seems to be reflected in my insurance premium, which is $449/year with full coverages, high liability limits (250,000/500,000), rental covg. of $30/day, and $500 deductible.

What do others think? Does a TCH help you be a defensive driver? I think it's only natural that if you have a sports car, you'll drive it hard, and if you have a TCH you'll drive it conservatively.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Safety and Insurance

I definitely drive more sedately than previously. However, I think that is offset by the time I'm looking at the MFD rather than the road. God help us all if I had the NAV to deal with.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

LOL Orcrone.

I have been progressively safer with each passing year. But the hybrid does help when it comes to approaching congested areas as I am always looking for ways to just glide through without having to do any sudden braking or accelerating.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I definitely drive more sedately than previously. However, I think that is offset by the time I'm looking at the MFD rather than the road. God help us all if I had the NAV to deal with.
Yes, I have to say the nav does distract me quite a bit. I have perfected the art of driving with peripheral vision. Man I need to quit that!

Old 01-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

When we replaced a 2001 LeSabre (no snide comments, please! ) with the TCH, our insurance premiums actually went down, much to my surprise. Maybe the insurance company believes hybrid drivers are safer, too?

Old 01-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Veracitorian Muser

The challenge of playing the car's FE game really is much more fun and entertaining, if not more exciting than pushing a sports car hard through the curves. Go figure. I'm coming from a Lexus GS, and my brother just traded his BMW 540iL for a TCH, and we both feel this way! I am embarrassed to admit this to non-hybrid owners, but know the hybrid owners really do get it.

-- Alan

Old 01-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
The challenge of playing the car's FE game really is much more fun and entertaining, if not more exciting than pushing a sports car hard through the curves. Go figure. I'm coming from a Lexus GS, and my brother just traded his BMW 540iL for a TCH, and we both feel this way! I am embarrassed to admit this to non-hybrid owners, but know the hybrid owners really do get it.

-- Alan
Man I get you!

I love sports cars, but the TCH has kept me entertained (and sometimes frustrated with high FE that I think is just too low) much longer and for more of the drive than any sports car ever has. In a sports car, you get to have fun once in a while, but the TCH is a challange for the entire time you drive it.

I also noticed that I have not changed my driving habits in other vehilces. I drove my truck today, and was once again rushing to the stop lights, speeding, and trying to keep up with other traffic or go faster than them. But when I am in the TCH, I am one of the calm drivers. It really is the car, and now I know why the insurance is so much cheaper for the TCH than other cars in it's class.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have to admit the TCH makes me drive a lot safer than I normally would...

Old 01-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had the safer thing going on when I first got my TCH, now six months later I just drive it like a normal car.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 PM
it's just a car...

If it only my driving a TCH made the OTHER drivers drive safer!

Quick Reply: Safety and Insurance

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands