Replace wiper blades insert versus entire assembly

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replace wiper blades insert versus entire assembly

Originally Posted by haroldo
I'm amazed that my OEM blades are 2 years old and only now starting to streak (garaged car and relatively mild winters).
I called dealer, they said $16 for the pair of INSERTS and that they'd install them free of charge.
I told him how happy I was with the OEMs and he said that is what they sell.
Sounds good enough for me.
Also sounds like your local dealer is interested in servicing his customers; IMO mine is more interested in gouging his customers.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I guess....$24 oil change and they have a shuttle service that drops you off and picks you up if any work takes too long. Yeah, they still offer the overcharged complete check ups, but that's okay, some don't mind paying for it and they need to make money.
They also have complimetary coffee, bagels and donuts in the waiting room

Last edited by haroldo; 10-22-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Got my blade refills today. It took about five minutes to get the refills installed. Saved $60.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Okay, I did it myself and it was very easy, but took 20 minutes (including 19 minutes figuring out how to slide the old rubber blade out of the grips). I was afraid to break it so I didn't want to pull too hard.
In any event, it is easy.
Interesting side note...I was in Lenox Mass and went to the dealer where I purchased the car (a small dealership), got one blade (they only had driver's side). As I walked out I pulled over a mechanic in the shop and asked if he could install it, he did. A few weeks later I went to Autoland (an enormous dealer in Springfield NJ) and bought the other blade. I went to the shop and they told me to drive the car into the queue, they'd write it up, enter it into the computer and when a mechanic was available they'd put it in (my guess, 45 minute wait). I said 'thanks, I'll see you later'.
Small town versus big city!

Last edited by haroldo; 11-15-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

I just replaced the wiper rubber inserts today. I had the original inserts since 2007 when I bought the car. I am not sure where everyone is getting $4 inserts. I got mine for $12 a piece at the stealer. The guy told me that if I would have bought another frame (from Autozone, etc) then I would not be able to use the Camry rubber inserts anymore. Plus the rubber inserts for the Camry and TCH are the same. Installation was a breeze. The stealer wanted to charge me $14 for putting it in. Since it was my first time, it took me about 40 mins or so. But next time, I don't anticipate taking more than 20mins!!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by spgdxb
... I am not sure where everyone is getting $4 inserts. I got mine for $12 a piece at the stealer. ...
Next time, look here:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Note that the left and right are different, and that the US-made is different from the Japan-made. A couple years ago, I bought several pairs. That saves on shipping, and they keep well as long as they are not exposed to UV or too much heat.