Remote Starter DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Remote Starter DIY

Is there any information on the installation and setup of the OEM version of the remote starter online? Has anyone attempted this? My dealer says it is not possible.

Thanks
Joe

Old 12-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Remote Starter DIY

I came here looking for help myself, so I can't offer any, but let's boost the thread.

I just moved from Minnesota, back home to New England, and can't wait to get a starter installed in my TCH. In MN I learned to love 'em. MUCH better than going out into the cold and waiting 10 min for the car to warm up before I can scrape it off.

In MN on my previous (non-hybrid) Camrys I installed Astrostarts. They're not cheap but I ***love*** the 2,000 foot range. And, installed, it costs $475 ... LESS than the TCH factory one, with its piddly 85 foot range. (What good is 85' when my car's 1000 feet away in the office parking lot?) Plus, the Astrostart is bidirectional so it beeps me back to say it actually started.

But I have a huge problem: we can't get it to work reliably. My Astrostart dealer has put hours and hours into it. Sometimes it starts fine, sometimes the taillights go on but the dashboard is dark. One attempted fix left the car totally unsecured.

The dealer's offered a full refund but the answer must be out there somewhere. I really have no use for a remote starter that only has an 85' range.

Help???

Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Advanced Technology-PZEV
Default Re: Remote Starter DIY

Guys I have heard 2 sides so i would like to know the real case...

People said Hybrids come installed with hood switch..
Dealer said it doesnt...

Does it? How can i check my car? is it marked "HYBRID SWITCH"?