Regenerative braking max pack voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Regenerative braking max pack voltage?

Greetings, new here but not to forums. I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid with 286K miles. The HV battery pack was replaced in January 2023 with a remanufactured pack.
Just recently I started monitoring the voltages on the Dr. Prius app. Driving normal the Pack Voltage fluctuates around 267 Volts.
When braking I found the Voltage spikes up to 320 Volts. The reading displays with a red background.
Does anyone know the max voltage when regenerating is active?
I'll post a pics shortly.

Last edited by phillie; 09-01-2023 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 09-01-2023, 12:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Regenerative braking max pack voltage?

I don't have any specific data for the Camry, but I've engaged in numerous drives in my Prius with Techstream recording battery parameters.

Upper and lower observed voltage limits depend on:

SoC (directly proportional)
Temperature (inversely proportional)
Current (directly proportional)

I have seen Prius block voltages as high as 21V each or 1.75V/cell under FORCED charge conditions, which are about as aggressive as they get. Extrapolating that to the Camry would yield 357V.

Under heavy accel, you could easily see 220V or lower.

Old 09-01-2023, 02:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I don't have any specific data for the Camry, but I've engaged in numerous drives in my Prius with Techstream recording battery parameters.

Upper and lower observed voltage limits depend on:

SoC (directly proportional)
Temperature (inversely proportional)
Current (directly proportional)

I have seen Prius block voltages as high as 21V each or 1.75V/cell under FORCED charge conditions, which are about as aggressive as they get. Extrapolating that to the Camry would yield 357V.

Under heavy accel, you could easily see 220V or lower.

Thank you for the information. Variables do make a difference. I don't have a techstream but I am getting an Autel ms906 pro. I don't know what capabilities it'll have with hybrids but I hope it'll give me more and accurate data monitors.

Old 09-01-2023, 02:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Unlikely it will be more accurate, and it will likely be more difficult to use than Hybrid Assistant or Dr. Prius or other dedicated apps. All of these options read the same data from the car. It's usually the interfacing hardware that determines how quickly data can be read.

I have a Snap-On Ethos Pro, and I'll choose either of the aforementioned options for simple monitoring over that because of their interface. The Pro units are a generic interface for all vehicles vs. those developed specifically for hybrids.

Old 04-04-2024, 11:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

May I ask how it turned out after this ?

Last edited by chima lecci; 04-04-2024 at 03:36 PM.