Regeneration choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Regeneration choices

Originally Posted by pajasper
My TCH doesn't have the NAV, but I did see the regen symbols on the Prius I rented. Are the regen symbols on the TCH the same amount of energy each as the Prius? If not, that could account for the difference.
50Wh (watt hours) each on the TCH same as the Prius.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by pajasper
I drove a Prius for the first time a few weeks ago, as I got at as a rental. I also noticed that the Prius slows down more than my TCH when simply lifting the "gas" pedal. It seems that Toyota set the Prius up to have more regen, and hence more braking, when simply lifting the accelerator.

My guess is that Toyota set up the TCH differently on purpose, calibrating the amount of regen-braking that would happen without using the brake pedal so that the TCH has a similar coasting behavior to non-hybrid cars with automatic transmissions. I'd bet that Toyota has an overall strategy in the TCH design to make it a "stealth" hybrid, or one where the hybrid nature of the vehicle is transparent to the driver, in order to sell more of them to folks that are really just looking for a Camry with good economy, rather than only hybrid buyers.
Well if that was their intent they didn't do a really good job. I like the way my TCH feels but it doesn't feel anywhere like my XLE-V6 when it comes to coasting.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hmmmmm....

You guys do realize the bars on the Prius are in 5 minute increments and the ones in the Camry are every minute right?

Makes sense you would get a lot more "cars" in a bar that only reads every 5 minutes since it can build up a lot more energy over that time.

Later!

Dang

Old 12-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

I guess I am confused. What is the difference between engine breaking and coasting to a stop? I always thought that was the same. No foot on the brake until the need to stop. I understand light breaking.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JTirak
I guess I am confused. What is the difference between engine breaking and coasting to a stop? I always thought that was the same. No foot on the brake until the need to stop. I understand light breaking.
"Engine braking" is using the engine to slow the car down. In a conventional car, if the foot is off the accelerator then there is engine braking, however in the TCH the engine braking is simulated with the electric motor/generator when the gear shift is in "D" and engine braking only occurs when the gear shift is in "B".

Old 12-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by talmy
"Engine braking" is using the engine to slow the car down. In a conventional car, if the foot is off the accelerator then there is engine braking, however in the TCH the engine braking is simulated with the electric motor/generator when the gear shift is in "D" and engine braking only occurs when the gear shift is in "B".
Again what is the difference between engine breaking and coasting?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

From Wikipedia

Something or someone is coasting when it is, or they are, moving at a steady speed, perhaps on wheels or rails. Coasting, for any distance, requires that friction be minimal.

Engine braking is the act of using the energy-requiring compression stroke of the internal combustion engine to dissipate energy and slow down a vehicle. Compression braking is a common legal term for the same mechanism. Large trucks use a device called an exhaust brake to increase the effectiveness of engine braking.

Last edited by talmy; 12-30-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

So when you take your foot off the gas your coasting. And if the engine is still running your engine breaking. One and the same? Does that mean the coasting can only be accomplished in neutral or with the engine off?

Old 12-31-2007, 04:01 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Dang
Hmmmmm....

You guys do realize the bars on the Prius are in 5 minute increments and the ones in the Camry are every minute right?

Makes sense you would get a lot more "cars" in a bar that only reads every 5 minutes since it can build up a lot more energy over that time.

Later!

Dang
Makes sense.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:05 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by JTirak
So when you take your foot off the gas your coasting. And if the engine is still running your engine breaking. One and the same? Does that mean the coasting can only be accomplished in neutral or with the engine off?
I think for the purpose of this discussion "Engine Braking" means you are in "B" mode. If you actually have a TCH or Prius try "B" mode when coasting and the difference will become obvious quickly.

Quick Reply: Regeneration choices

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands