Rattling air vent

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Recent Hybrid convert
Default Re: Rattling air vent

Originally Posted by ag4ever
HybridFan, since we are both in that same area, I am suprised you have not been having the excessive heat in your car recently. Just wait till August. It will be interesting to see what that heat brings. I wish i had some trees to park under here at work, but no shade for me.
Ag4ever, mine is in a multi-level parking garage during the [work] week, but I'll likely experience this problem soon enough in the weekends while on shopping errands or visiting friends. I'll report my findings later this summer, so thanks for the heads-up!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Man you TCH guys are picky !!!

I have owned 16 new or used cars in my lifetime, and NEVER has any of them been completely "rattle/buzz/squeak free".

Those cars include:

1976 Dodge (Mitsubishi-built) Colt
1992 Infiniti Q45
1991 Toyota Cressida
1987 Toyota Cressida
1998 Honda CR-V
1996 Toyota Camry LE
1997 Chevy Suburban LT
1993 Geo Prizm
1989 Nissan Maxima
1994 Nissan Maxima
2002 Chevy Avalanche
2004 Honda Civic Hybrid
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Maybe TCH owners are "too expectant" of getting the "perfect car" or something.

Or maybe since the TCH is SO VERY QUIET, every little noise stands out more than in other cars.

I have heard little rattles and buzzes here and there, but I have not considered:

A. Wasting my and the dealer's time "fixing" them, or
B. Changing cars because of a little rattle here and there.

My recommendation is to take a chill pill on these issues and don't let them bother you.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm up to 650 miles and still no rattle or squeak from anywhere. Either I'm really lucky or I'm very due for a few little pitter patters.

By the way, how can one find out where the car was built?

I figure mine was built in Japan because all the music and news on the audio system is in Japanese, but I'm curious. ;-).

It's a really nice standard stereo.

Last edited by daveosborne; 05-01-2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 05-02-2007, 07:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daveosborne
I'm up to 650 miles and still no rattle or squeak from anywhere. Either I'm really lucky or I'm very due for a few little pitter patters.

By the way, how can one find out where the car was built?

I figure mine was built in Japan because all the music and news on the audio system is in Japanese, but I'm curious. ;-).

It's a really nice standard stereo.
Dave, if your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) starts with J, it was built in Japan, otherwise, the good ole' USA. The VIN can be found by looking in the windshield from the outside in the lower driver's side corner. It also can be seen on the black label inside the driver's door opening.

Last edited by jbollt; 05-02-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have ~ 3,800 miles on my TCH, purchased back in 8/06.

I've recently noticed the rattle as well.

I'll probably have the dealer look at it next time I'm in.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Jeff, my VIN starts with 4T.

Wow. Assembled in the US. Not a rattle anywhere. Not a fit and finish flaw to be found so far.

I like that!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Man you TCH guys are picky !!! I have owned 16 new or used cars in my lifetime, and NEVER has any of them been completely "rattle/buzz/squeak free". [...] Maybe TCH owners are "too expectant" of getting the "perfect car" or something. Or maybe since the TCH is SO VERY QUIET, every little noise stands out more than in other cars.

I have heard little rattles and buzzes here and there, but I have not considered:
A. Wasting my and the dealer's time "fixing" them, or
B. Changing cars because of a little rattle here and there.

My recommendation is to take a chill pill on these issues and don't let them bother you.
LOL, Larry! I had to laugh at myself as well on this one... I do remember when my @#$! center console squeak was getting the best of me a few months back.

But hey, as you obviously know (and likely agree, given the smiley at the end of your post) this is the beauty of forums such as these: you learn from other's experiences/issues, determine whether they're pithy or "real" for your own situation, and move on...

Old 05-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by ag4ever
The a/c vent in the center of my dash on the left side rattles very loudly after the car has sat in the sun all day and the a/c is blowing full blast and the vent is pointed at the driver. If I re-aim the vent towards the passenger it stops rattling, and once the temps come down it won't rattle no matter where it is aimed. Has anyone experienced this?

[HybridFan] I haven't experienced it (yet!). I'm at 10K miles by now, 8+ months... ag4ever, maybe I'll just have to wait until it gets a little warmer and I truly start using the A/C a lot.

[ag4ever] HybridFan, since we are both in that same area, I am suprised you have not been having the excessive heat in your car recently. Just wait till August. It will be interesting to see what that heat brings.
OK, I have it as well... Confirmed yesterday when the car sat outside under the full sun (felt like in the 90's?). Not as loud as you described, but I guess it's just a matter of time when it gets hotter outside.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Dazed and Confused

Annoying as heck, but goes away soon when the AC is blowing.

I am not sure if I will have them mess with it or not.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Took it into the Dlr...they pulled some malarkey out of their behinds that they are aware of it, and it's the Ionizer.

Bah...

IIRC the plasmacluster is on the far left vent, not the left center vent.

Quick Reply: Rattling air vent

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands