The RAT has died.... Somewhere.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The RAT has died.... Somewhere.

Find a local dealer that sells BG or WYNNS products.

BG sells a product called Frigi-Fresh, which is sprayed in the intake vents and sort of fogs the car, killing fungi, mold and odors.

WYNNS actually has a machine they put in the car that fogs the entire interior with a solution to kill mold and clears out odors pretty well..

Both services take between 30 minutes and an hour to perform..

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

for the urine smell try a product called "natures miracle" it works extremely well and is used by vetenerians. Any vet office or vetenerian supply will have it.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

How did the rat die??

Old 08-04-2008, 04:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Don't forget to try the old stand-by refrigerator smell killer..Baking Soda. Get a couple boxes of the fancy Arm and Hammer with the pull off fronts and place them under the front seats. Or buy the cheap boxes and pour it in to a bowl and place under the seats... I would put a couple in the trunk as well...

Hope this helps...

Old 08-04-2008, 04:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wes, one would presume the rat died because it was inside a HOT car (even in 80 degree weather, the interior of a vehicle can soar well above 100 degrees) and also because it did not have access to food. It's amazing it lived as long as it did.

To the unfortunate vehicle owner, if there's any moisture (from urine, etc.) left in the vehicle you might want to get some silica gel--like the little packets you get when electronics (hard drives, etc.) are shipped. It'll absorb the moisture further aiding in your stench-fighting assault on the vehicle.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the advice!

On baking soda.... it comes in a form of a rather abrasive crystal that can bring havoc to CD changers and dash instrumentation, especially in the quantity I would need to use it.

All the urine was dried and stinky. Nothing to soak up, just has to be scrubbed.

He survived for four days because he was smart. He went straight for the evaporator and condensate line for the AC system. Toyota made a nice, roomy, padded area back there that ANY rat would be proud to call home. As long as I used the car, Mr. Rat had a supply of water and cool air.

I am going to San Diego this morning, with my whole family. Hope I got everything out of there.

I hope I put the car back together correctly. Amazing... it only took one motivated mechanic, less than an hour to completely gut the inside of that car.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here's an option:

- 409 Spray
- Skunk solution - 1 Qt Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) to 1/4 baking soda and a teaspoon of Dawn (blue color). Mix and clean with that. It does work.
- Oust spray

Use all three, in that order.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
On baking soda.... it comes in a form of a rather abrasive crystal that can bring havoc to CD changers and dash instrumentation, especially in the quantity I would need to use it.
You don't spread it around... Just leave an open box in the car and it will absorb odors... Same thing for the home / RV refrigerator or unused ice chests for that matter...

Old 08-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast

You could have saved yourself a lot of time and money by doing the "Seinfeld" thing. A less than hygienic valet parker left BO that what was termed "the beast" in Jerry's car. After trying everything to remove the stench but to no avail, Jerry finally drove the car to an undesirable neighborhood, got a shady-looking young man's attention and threw the keys into the car.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Hawaiian

I once had a rat eat my wire harness. My insurance took care of cleaning and removal

Quick Reply: The RAT has died.... Somewhere.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands