Protective Coating? Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Protective Coating? Yes or No

As usual, the dealer tried to sell me the protective coating to be applied to my Barcelona Red TCH after I bought it. What do the rest of you think about this protective coating add on? Sales gimmick or is it worth the extra cost in the long run? If it is a good idea, would I be better off getting it done by someone else other than the dealer? If you did get it, what did you pay for it? I have never gotten this done in the past and it hasn't been a problem as far as I am concerned, with the exception of my 1970 VW bug that started to fade after about 10 years. My Red 1981 Corolla Wagon lasted until 2000 without a problem with the finish, so my thinking is that it's just a sales gimmick, but then I have see a number of cars (mainly of US manufacture) where I've seen the finish & sometimes the paint beginning to peel on a car that isn't much older than 5 or 6 years old. Will this protective finish prevent this from happening if I do normal washing and waxing over the life of the car?

Rod

Old 06-05-2006, 02:08 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Re: Protective Coating? Yes or No

It is a ripoff; just some sort of fancy wax.How much did they want for it?

You could get a detailer to apply some super duper wax for maybe $25-$35, or you could do it yourself for the price of the wax.Luck,Charlie