Prius to Camry Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:55 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Prius to Camry Hybrid

According to the database, most users are getting between 35.3–39.2 MPG. These are your most likely results. Many of the numbers higher than these are being achieved by those who are often doing things most drivers won't do:

Driving extra miles to avoid certain routes so that MPG is better(of course they are using more gas, but the high MPG is their goal and not saving money or gas).

Extra driving around the neighborhood at EV only speeds just to boost their MPG numbers.

Boosting tire pressures to unsafe numbers.

Becoming a rock in the flow of traffic to the detriment of other drivers on the road.

Many of the hypermilers have used some or all of these techniques to boost MPG numbers. For them it is a competition and not NORMAL driving. I recommend you don't become one of them.

Last edited by TKCamry; 09-22-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TKCamry
According to the database, most users are getting between 35.3–39.2 MPG. These are your most likely results. Many of the numbers higher than these are being achieved by those who are often doing things most drivers won't do:

Driving extra miles to avoid certain routes so that MPG is better(of course they are using more gas, but the high MPG is their goal and not saving money or gas).

Extra driving around the neighborhood at EV only speeds just to boost their MPG numbers.

Becoming a rock in the flow of traffic to the detriment of other drivers on the road.

Many of the hypermilers have used some or all of these techniques to boost MPG numbers. For them it is a competition and not NORMAL driving. I recommend you don't become one of them.
TK,

Are you having a bad day? Just because I drive laps around my cul-de-sac doesn't make me a bad person.

Seriously, some people get very high mileage because of their driving conditions. I live in an area with 55 mph speed limits and spirited police officers, so I rarely get up to 65 mph. That's going to give me better mileage than those that can drive 75 - 80 mph. I'm not sure where you live but it's been cool enough lately to shut off the A/C. That's probably added about 3-4 mpg.

My average in the database is a little under 40 mpg, but my last tank and a half have been closer to 43 - 45 mpg. I'm driving a little slower than the surrounding traffic, but I don't think 58 - 59 mph is ridiculously slow in the right lane of a 55 mph zone. If the speed limit is 40 or below I'll keep it just below 40 to keep it in EV, but once again there's nothing wrong with that (I wouldn't do that in a 45 mph zone). I'm not doing pulse and glide. My drive to work allows for highway mileage followed by a stretch of about 3 - 4 miles of EV mode which helps the average.

I'm not sure what the problem is with people getting higher than average mileage in a safe manner.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

I would agree with your reasoning and I think 35 to 40 MPG is probably most accurate. The 18 mile trip I mentioned here about getting 47.5 was a direct route home from the dealership to home and through back country roads in Amish country meaning one can't drive very fast becasue of buggys but flowing with the traffic. As far as the car, all is standard settings from dealership meaning no increase in air in tires and etc. but should mention the AC was off because of outside temperature. The tank before this was right around 39MPG with air on. Thanks Bill

Old 09-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TKCamry

There is a lot of ignorance in this post, and I can't help but take it rather personally. Some of that stuff might happen once in a while, but the vast majority of "hypermilers" DO place conservation of fuel and safety well above the number of miles per gallon. I'm sorry, but spreading this kind of nonsense doesn't help anybody. Drive the way you want, but please don't make it sound like fuel efficient driving is some kind of antisocial behavior. There is no need to drive a wedge between groups.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:00 AM

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I've read extensively about how tire pressure affects safety, and how handling, wear and mileage before changing my opinion.

I do run higher than recommend tire pressure (42/40psi front/rear) than Toyota recommends for freeway driving (35psi.) However, in my humble opinion, I think the TCH handles better and is safer with 42/40psi. I also benefit from better tire life and gas mileage.

My route favors the TCH. I drive I-15 in San Diego for about 25 miles, often in rush hour conditions. Fortunately, I-15 congestion slows traffic (sometimes < 5mph) but rarely comes to a halt - so I often am coasting or on EV for miles on the freeway. I also drive ~ 7 miles of surface roads, mostly with 25 to 40 mph limits and am lucky to only have a few stops along the way. Short trips to the library, groceries, movies, etc alway drop my mileage.

A co-worker drives an '06 Prius along the same route, but only goes about 12 miles on I-15 before reaching his home. He normally gets 48 to 50mpg.

Last edited by nash; 09-22-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

TKCAMMY writes:Boosting tire pressures to unsafe numbers.

Cammy, I boost my pressure to only 40PSI, the lettering on my Miches says max pressure 44PSI COLD. I am well in the leagal limits. We all try for the best milage and possibly you are one of the real low MPG figures which would tend to strike a sore spot. You need to also drive for milage IMHO

Old 09-22-2006, 11:19 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by skywagon
We all try for the best milage and possibly you are one of the real low MPG figures which would tend to strike a sore spot. You need to also drive for milage IMHO
I am getting 36.1, so no I am not one of the real low ones. And I bought the Camry Hybrid to get better gas mileage and better range between fillups. I didn't buy it to change my driving habits.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

Now, I am getting 34.5 on the computer after about 100 miles from the delivery. I am wondering how it does when I put first tank. How different between the computer mileage and real mileage? I still have to wait about a month to go. Would someone tell me your experience?

Old 09-25-2006, 08:45 AM

I'd ignore the numbers for the first tank. Did the dealer fill it up, top it off or leave it a little short. My first tank was off by several mpg, however, ever since the displayed mpg has always been about 0.8 - 1.1 mpg higher than actual.

I'd suggest you fill up the tank and start fresh.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Toyohybrid
Now, I am getting 34.5 on the computer after about 100 miles from the delivery. I am wondering how it does when I put first tank. How different between the computer mileage and real mileage? I still have to wait about a month to go. Would someone tell me your experience?
I get such good mileage I don't remember the last time I filled up my TCH. Gas was $3.40 at the time here in Chicago.

Quick Reply: Prius to Camry Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands