Nissan Altima Hybrid
3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Pricing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Pricing question

I have been bouncing back and forth on getting a hyrid car. It makes total sense as I drive 85 miles round trip from the inland empire to Los Angeles daily in stop and go traffic via the 210 fwy. So I have not decided to choose a hybrid, but which one and prices seem to be the only questions left.

I have spent the last 2 weeks on quotes and emails. Here is what I am down to and the best prices I can find.
Honda Civic Hybrid = Non-Navigtion car in my choice of colors for $20,598 with all taxes and fees, $22,562.62 out the door.

Toyota Camry Hybrid = Non-Navigation car in my choice of colors with floor and trunk mats, leather and upgraded wheels & stereo package comes to $ 24,450 (incl. $500 rebate). With all taxes & fees, $26,790.66 out the door.

Nissan Altima Hybrid = No idea. I have not considered it.

I would love some feedback on which car to get and what the fourm thinks of these deals.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pricing question

you're asking the question in a forum dominated by TCH lovers, so I'll bet the answers will be, somewhat, biased.

in addition, I don't know anything about the other hybrids, so I'll say TCH

Last edited by haroldo; 01-17-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Just me...

the same thing was posted in the hch forum, as well.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm biased to the TCH and your pricing looks good to me. I think I'd still read about owner experiences for each car in the forum for it. Factors might include local dealerships and whether you'd rather have the size and comfort features of the Camry (or Altima) or the likelyhigher mileage of the HCH. If you don't have another vehicle or this will be your primary vehicle....than my bias would still lead me to the TCH.

BTW See the January 2008 Motor Trend for an overall extremely positive long term (17 or so months) test/opinion on the TCH.

No matter the decisison, come back here and participate in the forums, for your vehicle and generally. Also, I suggest that you use/contribute to the mileage database from the get go.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

TCH not only gets nice mileage, which you should do well with temperature-wise, though it'll vary a lot based on driving habits and traffic for your commute--it also happens to be a nice, comfortable, spacious car. Very quiet, and sounds like you have a pretty good deal on a car with some upgrades. New Civics aren't bad looking but they're still pretty small. Mileage isn't too shabby. Your size would be a factor too, I expect. I couldn't fit in a Corolla which is the competing car to the Civic. If you're fairly tall that might be a real factor. Nissan still gets the full tax credit I suspect, but I believe I've heard that (at least the first hybrid model) it still uses Toyota's hybrid technology, but I heard that it uses more in the way of belts, etc, so more wear and tear? That's hearsay. I love my Camry. Very happy.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't forget the Prius. This is from a TCH guy.

With stop and go traffic you'll probably be happier with Toyota's hybrid system rather than Honda's.

The Toyota system is fantastic for stop and go. You'll be in full electric much of the time. Very smooth.

People have complained about Honda's system with regards to stop and go. With their system there really is no pure electric mode*. So the engine may start and stop each time you start and stop. Not very smooth from what I have heard.

Ford (Escape) uses the same technology as Toyota's system (although it was independently developed). The Altima actually uses Toyota's hybrid technology (except for the engine).

* Honda claims an electric mode, but the ICE (internal combustion engine) is still spinning and engaged. Not the same technology as Toyota.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You have given little information about other needs in your life. Do you have family? Do you tend to travel on vacation via car? Do you transport a lot of stuff?

Basically, it is a size issue. Yes, size matters :-P ....

If you want big, get the Camry. If you want small, get the Civic. Don't tough the Nissan. I find Nissan's in general lack quality (they used to be better...until that French company bought them).

Do consider the Prius as well.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Enthusiast

Here is info on me.

It will be a commuter car and maybe running around a bit. Long trips are for my wife's pilot. We have a 7 year old, so the back does not need to be huge. I rarely take more than 2 of us in the car to work. I don't haul things in it.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I love the way the NAH looks. However, Nissan's reputation for hybrids is not as well tested as Toyota's. It probably gets a little bit less FE than the TCH.

If you want the looks, go for the NAH. If you want better mileage and reliability, go for the TCH.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I wouldn't consider the HCH.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:11 PM
2nd Driver

Since cost seems important to you, the Altima should be looked at closely ... read NAH forum posts ...

Reasons why ...
- full tax credit available - no tax credit on TCH
- uses same HSD as TCH - licensed from Toyota (as do Ford's FEH and MMH)
- 2008 EPA mileage - 35 city/33 hwy/34 combined - TCH is 33/34/34

However ...
- available only in 8 states - if you live elsewhere, service could be an issue
- Nissan says they will have/use their own hybrid system 'soon'

Quick Reply: Pricing question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands