portable GPS does not work in my TCH

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: portable GPS does not work in my TCH

Originally Posted by duanerw
I purchased a 660 and It would loose signal from time to time.I called Garmin and the tech told me about the chemical in the toyota glass and to get an antenna.I purchased mine from circuit city and it worked without fail.I upgraded to the 760 and with the antenna no problems.Garmin knows of this problem and has excellent support.
Where did you mount the antenna?

Old 12-20-2008, 05:06 PM
old fart

I mounted the antenna on the front of the roof just above the windshield and tucked the cord into the grove between the glass and the car.was a job but you cant see the cord,just the small antenna.Helps me find my car at the mall.I havnt used the garmin to find the car yet.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

I'm on my second Garmin nuvi 255 in my TCH. The Garmin folks hadn't let on about the window issues with reception. They did send me a brand new 255 about 2 months ago. For the first week or so it seemed fine. Guess I got lucky. Now, it's back to having the little car on the screen do 360s when the TCH is at a stop light, and thinking I'm two streets over from the one I'm actually on. Not very much fun!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Enthusiast

I tried a Garmin Nuvi 250 last year and had problems. I now have a TomTom GO920 and it works perfectly. No sunroof. Have used it a lot, all over several states and provinces. I put it on the left between the window pillar and the instrument cluster as low as I can so it doesn't impede my vision.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

There is no question that the metallic oxide in the Hybrid glass is designed to block radio frequency including radar, XM and GPS. This has nothing to do with the "quiet" feature of the windshield but has to do with protecting the bluetooth and other electronics from interference. The only solution is a Gillson or Garmin external antenna. Thanks for helping us out with this Honda (NOT!).

Old 03-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry, meant Toyota (also have a Honda)

Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

Just got a Tom Tom Go730 and so far it works quite well in my 09 TCH. Have mounted it on the middle of the windshield right near the clock&dash, and have also put it in front of the shifter against the small door thing down there. Works well - No problems so far. Maybe most of my gps signal is coming through the moonroof then...or maybe different brands have different results then.