Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

JTode — Yes, this is the effect that I'm talking about! It's a function of the fact that those sunglasses are polarized. For non-polarized (often cheaper) sunglasses there's no problem. If you rotate the sunglasses and see no change while looking at the LCD display, you have non-polarized sunglasses.

Stan

Old 03-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have trouble closing my sunroof. It never seems to stop in the right position. As soon as it reaches the closed position (using tilt), it re-opens.

I may have to consult the manual.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by SPL
jay_man2 — My sunglasses are made by Guess. But I checked them and the TCH display with another pair of sunglasses made by Polaroid. These glasses both behave similarly, giving maximum reduction of the skylight glare when one's head is vertical, as ought to be the case, and don't give maximum visibility of the TCH display at this orientation. At what angle do you get maximum clarity of your display — or, conversely, at what angle do you get extinction of your display? [These two angles will be perpendicular to each other.]

Stan
I see what you mean now. I get extinction of the display at 40-45 degrees clockwise. Vertical, dropped head, raised head, any angle except that and I can see the display just fine. And I never look at the display with my head at that angle - it's uncomfortable. I'm also wearing an amber lens, which is a great all-purpose driver's lens. I find the gray Maui Jim lenses to be too dark for my every day use.

Last edited by jay_man2; 03-28-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ormond
I have trouble closing my sunroof. It never seems to stop in the right position. As soon as it reaches the closed position (using tilt), it re-opens.

I may have to consult the manual.
Just picked mine up today and found the same thing on the sunroof tilt. It's probably suppose to do that. After I figure out the Nav, audio, a/c, displays, ect ect ect, I'll have to look up the sunroof issue. I'm sure it will all be second nature soon, but a little overwhelming right now. By the way, I put 30 miles on it today and averaged 43.5 mpg! You've got to love this car!

Chumley

Old 03-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

I checked the manual, and all it says is hold the button down for 1 second and it will close. It says nothing about if you hold it longer that the sunroof will open back up. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 03-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by Chumley
I checked the manual, and all it says is hold the button down for 1 second and it will close. It says nothing about if you hold it longer that the sunroof will open back up. Anyone have any thoughts?
I just checked mine. When I close the tilt, it does appear as if it opens just a bit. When I open it, it also appears to close a little before opening. That is normal.
Does roof appear to be open when you look at it from outside?
Is your warning light on when you leave the car?

Old 03-29-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
I just checked mine. When I close the tilt, it does appear as if it opens just a bit. When I open it, it also appears to close a little before opening. That is normal.
Does roof appear to be open when you look at it from outside?
Is your warning light on when you leave the car?

Wilson is right. In my girlfriend's RAV4, if you hold the tilt button when it is slid back, it will return to a closed position and then move down about an inch or less and then back up.

When I first saw it I thought it wasn't closed because it moved up...so I moved it back down. I then looked outside and sure enough, it was open a little. After pushing tilt briefly to make it move "up" as if it were going to tilt and looking outside again it was closed.

IMHO, it is a poor design. It should be automatic, you click tilt when open once, it closes, you hold tilt, it opens in tilt mode. Either that or add a close button. It could be left open just a crack and really leave you damp in a rain storm.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 03-29-2007 at 07:08 PM. Reason: This forum keep posting in HTML mode!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I HATE that the ECO mode turns off when you switch the ventilation modes. Sure, I understand it turning off in modes that don't support it, but when I switch back to "face only" or "feet and face", ECO should switch back on if I HAD IT ON. As soon as I switch to any non-supported mode, ECO goes off. That's just poor design.

I also think keeping the ECO button on the far side of the steering wheel, seemingly just because it's been there since the '83 Camry, is a bad idea. Put the button near the climate control system.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I HATE that the ECO mode turns off when you switch the ventilation modes. Sure, I understand it turning off in modes that don't support it, but when I switch back to "face only" or "feet and face", ECO should switch back on if I HAD IT ON. As soon as I switch to any non-supported mode, ECO goes off. That's just poor design.

I also think keeping the ECO button on the far side of the steering wheel, seemingly just because it's been there since the '83 Camry, is a bad idea. Put the button near the climate control system.
Reprogram it with your laptop, my laptop and program can even change the injection pulse widths. doorlocks, and do all dianostic checks. Works on all my other cars also. You don't like something? change it do not live with it like the stealers tell you to do. Sorry rant over.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by skywagon
Reprogram it with your laptop, my laptop and program can even change the injection pulse widths. doorlocks, and do all dianostic checks. Works on all my other cars also. You don't like something? change it do not live with it like the stealers tell you to do. Sorry rant over.
If you could help out with the technical aspects of this I would love to do this myself! What do you use for software and as a hardware interface?

Quick Reply: Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands